Sitting On The Dock

The Winchesters, for once, had a day off. No hunts to rush after, and nothing supernatural in the news. The boys loved their days off, and took full advantage of them.

Sam used his day wisely, by grabbing snacks and soda, and retreating back into his room to read Harry Potter fanfiction and watch Netflix.

Dean, on the other hand, wanted a day of peace with his angel beside him.

"C'mon Cas," he announced, ruffling the angel's hair. "We're going fishing."

"Fishing?" Cas echoed. "I've never done that."

"Well, today's the day you learn." Dean grinned.

A short drive later, the pair stood before a small lake. A rickety wooden dock went out into the water, although half of it looked ready to collapse. Dean grabbed two poles, the tackle box, and a portable radio from the Impala before heading towards the dock, Cas right on his heels.

"Is this dock safe to walk on?" Cas questioned as Dean sat down at the end of it. The hunter snorted.

"No," he declared, getting the poles ready. He paused, staring out at the lake. "I came here once," he admitted. "A long time ago."

Cas sat down next to him, swinging his feet and admiring the lake.

"What happened?" He asked gently.

"It was about a month before Mom died." Dean offered. "We came for a picnic, and Dad took me fishing while Sammy played in the sand." A rueful smile crossed over the hunter's face as he remembered the simple day.

"That sounds lovely." Cas said softly. Dean nodded, handing Cas a pole.

"Let's catch some fish," he insisted, expertly changing the subject.

It took at least an hour for Cas to figure out how to use a fishing pole. But once he figured it out, the fun really began.

"I don't understand why fish eat worms." Cas offered, holding up the wriggling creature. "I doubt they taste good."

"I dare you to eat it." Dean joked.

"Don't be ridiculous," Cas insisted. "That's disgusting.... I'm going to wear it as a wormstache."

Dean burst out laughing, and Cas grinned.

The boys failed to catch any fish, but they still had a good time. Cas gel into the lake once, and was shoved in twice. Dean got thrown in three times, simply for laughing every time Cas hit the water.

They grew tired as the afternoon went on, and as Dean packed up the tackle box, Cas laid down on the dock, listening to the radio Dean had brought, and watching the sky.

The radio crackled as a new song started to play, and Dean laid down beside Cas on the dock.

The hunter started to hum, and Cas smiled as Dean softly sang along and wrapped an arm around his angel. 

"Sittin' in the mornin' sun
I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes
Watchin' the ships roll in
Then I watch 'em roll away againI'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide, roll away
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' timeI left my home in Georgia
And I headed for the Frisco Bay
'Cause I've got nothin' to live for
Looks like nothin's gonna come my way, soI'm just come sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay, wastin' timeLooks like nothin's gonna change
Everything seems to stay the same
I can't do what ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the sameI'm sittin' here restin' my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
This two thousand miles I roamed
Just to make this dock my home
Now I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bayWatchin' the tide roll away
Sittin' on the dock of the bay
I'm wastin' time."