YOU SHOT ME.

Set in AU

An alarm clock blared annoyingly and Cas rolled over with a sigh to smash the snooze button. It was too early for this shit.

It was six a.m. and he somehow had to find the willpower to get out of bed. It was even more difficult a task considering Cas had only gotten four hours of sleep.

And then his husband decided to roll over and snuggle closer to him. The snooze ended, and the alarm started blaring again. 

"Move," He ordering, shoving at his husband futily.

"No." He retorted. "You're warm and comfy, and it's too early for you to leave me."

"I have work!"

"Screw your work."

"Babe."

"Cas."

"Move." With a reluctant groan, he moved so that Cas could get out of bed and get ready for work.

"When you gonna be home?" His husband's sleepy voice questioned.

"Seven," Cas offered. "What about you, any plans?"

"Just business meetings."

Cas Novak was a police officer, a tough job that meant you somehow managed to survive for five days on a total of four hours of sleep. But Cas liked his job. It was interesting, especially with the crime they had in town.

There was a powerful gang running around town, selling drugs, robbing stores, occasionally even kidnapping someone. 

It was a gang run by bad people, and a few of them even had their lovely mugshots plastered on the walls of the Lawrence Police Department. 

Cas had the gang leader's mugshot hung up over his desk, and looking at it always made him smirk.

Dean Winchester. Leader of the Hunters. Mastermind of the whole gang. A dangerous psychopath, they had labeled him. 

Cas disagreed, obviously. The only time Dean ever seemed dangerous to him was when you refused to give him pie.

Sure, it was a little difficult being married to a kind of mob boss, but Dean and Cas made it work. Cas knew it was wrong, but he'd slip Dean a piece of information every now and then. Who was a rat, where the cops were going to be next, what lead they had picked up and what information they had on the Hunters.

Dean, in return, kept things as clean as he could. He made sure no innocent people got hurt. Drugs they sold weren't tainted with anything else, and they never sold to kids. Places were only robbed when needed, and they only stole from big companies- never a small business that was barely scrapping by as it was.

Dean did bad things, Cas knew. But he still had morals. He was still a decent person who tried his best. Cas had to see things from Dean's point of view because he loved him, and that meant that no matter what Dean did, Cas could never bring himself to give the police even a hint as to what the Hunters were up to.

Not that Cas knew much. Dean kept the gang separate from Cas as much as he could. It wasn't that he didn't trust Cas; it was just that he didn't want the gang mixing with his personal life. He trusted the people in the Hunters, but if somebody found out he was married to a cop? They might take things the wrong way, and Cas could get hurt. 

The last thing Dean wanted was for Cas to get hurt because of something the Hunters did.

They played for opposite sides of the law, Dean and Cas, but they still managed to make things work.