The loss of Persephone

A moment in the Underworld can mean a thousand years for the humans. Not that the gods ever cared about any of that.

Hades sure never cared, not when he had his Persephone, his ray of sunlight in a dark world. Then, he let her go, at her mother's demand. Demeter didn't know. She could never understand what her daughter meant to him. But then again, she always came back too. 

Months passed, and he'd rule alone. Then, when he'd least expect it, the scent of spring would flow on waves of musty air, filling his kingdom with honey and roses and easing the frown off his face. 

But once, hundreds of human years ago, Persephone did not go back to her ravishing dark home. 

Hades had waited, taking into consideration that time passed differently between realms, hoping that one day, he'd raise his head from useless paperwork - the Underworld was a kingdom, after all - and see her blue eyes smile at him with all the kindness the world had never deigned to show him.

He was still waiting, when, at the edges of his consciousness, he heard a summons. There were voices, maybe two dozens of them, all female, speaking in an ancient greek it was obvious they didn't understand. But he had not been summoned by humans in almost a millenia, and maybe it was curiosity, boredom, or simply fate, but he heeded the summons.