The Guy Who Gave Up His Jersey(9)

“What do you mean you’re going to get heartbroken?” Xavier chased after me. He took hold of my arm and forced me to face him.

“I’m going to fall in love and when I get hurt you’re not allowed to protect me,” I responded, giving him a serious look.

Tonight I saw my own fate, if I kept being an overprotected fool like Xavier taught me to be, I would end up like him. He cares more about breaking girls’ hearts than actually finding a girl who actually has a decent one. I didn’t want to be like him, he was afraid to love. Why? I had no clue, but I never loved someone or had someone love me back.

Xavier always told me love was a complicated word. A word that only lead to fights, tears, and heartbreak. But I wondered if maybe he loved someone once before and that love made him who he was today. Wasn’t there a saying that said: Behind every player is a story?

What was Xavier’s story? A guy couldn’t just enter high school with that idea; something had to happen to make him be this way. I wanted to know everyone’s story; some of these guys had to have reasons. They all had to have a motive; a reason to sleep with girls and dump them, there had to be more than just a number and rank.

“You won’t be able to deal with the pressure and the pain Julie.” He tried to reason with me.

“How do you know that? I never actually loved someone!” I spat venomously at him.

“Because I made you into a stubborn, hardheaded, non-idiot girl. I never taught you how to deal with guys or how to take a break-up. You’re not ready to be hurt.” He responded sincerely, keeping his grip on my wrist.

I shook my head solemnly. “For three years all I have done is deal with boys. I know what they want, what they need, but I feel as if I don’t let go of your protection I will become a bitter girl,”  I took his hand off my wrist, he stared at me for a moment.

“Is this what you really want?” He asked me, quietly.

“Do you really urge to get heartbroken? Have you ever thought you have a lot of dignity to let someone hurt you?”

My dignity was everything to me, it was my ego. Even if someone did manage to break me or fool me, I would never show it. Because I rather walk on broken glass then shed tears for someone.

“Just for once Xavier let go of me. Stop being the over-protective brother; I have to make mistakes so I can learn from them. I need to get hurt even if you don’t want too.” I told him, giving him a wryly look.

Deep inside I knew why I decided this; I knew why I had to force him let go of me. Secretly, I was already stepping on broken glass; my life was becoming complicated in the weirdest ways. For once in my life I was curious to know how all of this is going to turn out.

Was I still going to get revenge on Alejandro? Yeah, every single guy that was on that piece of paper, they would get played. Even Xavier would get played; I had turned my back against him and this stupid game.