Chapter 9: Coming Clean

·Grace's POV·

Today is the day, this is the point of no return. I will be telling Toli and Katie the truth in less than an hour. They both think I'm taking them to do some sightseeing.

They couldn't be more wrong.

Archer is aware of today's plan, and he totally agrees with it. That reliefs me somehow, I can't do it without him by my side. I'm still quite surprised by our closeness after barely two weeks. It seems like yesterday when he caught me questioningly staring from St. George's entrance while walking with my family. Yeah, I know what you are thinking:

But Grace, two weeks isn't really a very long period of time.

Well, let me tell you. Time does slip through your fingers when there's only one week left of summer vacations. While Toli is jumping for joy, Katie and I wear our best poker faces wondering what the hell is wrong with her. Sure, we both love learning, we just can't stand high school clichés.

Anyway, I was waiting for my friends to come down to the kitchen and have breakfast so we could leave. When they did, Katie said to me:

"You couldn't have chosen a hotter day to show us around, could you? Can't we just stay home and watch a movie or something?"

"Here we go again... Katie! You'll have to go out someday, you know? It's not like the world's gonna end if you step a foot outdoors." Toli responded, emphasizing by rolling her blue eyes.

"Okay, okay. Chill, it was just a suggestion. I like the idea of being close to the air conditioner rather than melting outside. SUE ME!"

"Hey! Enough for today, drama queens. We have more important things to do."

"Right, what are we visiting today again?" Toli asked me.

"St. George's old Juvenile Correctional. A well-known landmark."

"Never heard of it." Katherine shook her head.

"Oh, I might have read an article or two about it. Isn't that building the one which burned almost 40 years ago?"

Of course Toli would know about it. Didn't expect anything less from her.

I answered her, my face as white as a sheet:

"The one and only."

"What are we waiting for? Let's go."

***

Here we are. Oh God, I'm sweating my palms off. Where is Archer?! He should be at the door by now. Relax Grace, we've arrived two minutes earlier than expected. Just wait.

As I assumed, two minutes later, Archer showed up.

He saw us and he nodded his head politely, looking with concern at my direction.

"I'm ready." I told him.

"And so are we Grace. Open the door now!"

I did as I was told. We entered the hallway and the astonishment they both felt was obvious. Just like I did the first time I saw this magnificence.

I led them through the corridor until we reached what I suppose was the study room.

"Can you sit down, please? I need to tell you both something

"Can you sit down, please? I need to tell you both something." I pleaded.

"Okay..?"

They sat down on the leather couch and started at me in confusion.

"I know this might sound crazy. But it's been going on for a while now. It's not a secret that I have the same nightmare every night, we all know that. However, what I need to get out of my chest is that I've met the mysterious boy who always tries to safe me from the darkness."

They were gobsmacked after hearing that.

"No way! What does he look like? Is he nice? Please tell us he's nice. Can we meet him?!"

"Relax relax." I sighed, preparing myself for the worst part of the explanation."First of all, he's tall and fit, with dark brown hair and light brown eyes. Secondly, he's super nice and caring, couldn't have asked for a better helper." After that part left my mouth, I glanced at him while saying it. He returned the gesture with a sweet smile. "And finally, you will meet him right now, because he's here in this room."

"Where is he? I see no one, except for the three of us." Katie pointed out.

"He's next to me at the moment."

They think I've gone crazy, without a doubt.

"You are kidding right?"

"Not at all. His name is Archer and he is a ghost. He died during St. George's fire at the age of 17, so he looks our age. But don't ask me how can I see him or touch him. I do not own the answer to that."

"Grace, we know it's been very difficult coping with the nightmares and all that stuff. But this is getting out of your hands."

"I promise you that I'm telling the truth. That's what I've been up to these mornings, not exercising! I didn't tell you earlier because I had the feeling that you would react like that."

Archer, who I didn't expect to talk, said:

"I have an idea. Make them look at that notebook."

"Okay." I turned to look at the girls again. "He ordered me to tell you to stare at the notebook on top of the table."

When we all fixated our sight on said place, I almost chocked with my own saliva.

He had taken a pen from the drawer and was writing on the first page of the dusty notebook.

Toli and Katie looked like they had seen a ghost. Well, literally.

When Archer finished, we read what he had written:

She is telling the truth.

"Told you I was being sincere."

"What?! How is this even possible?!" Toli asked, once she was out of her shock.

"I don't know... The fact that I'm the only one who's able to see or touch him and that he appears in my nightmare must mean something. And we are trying to figure it out."

"Holy shit. This is too much." Katie muttered.

"Yeah..."

"You might need more help at some point, won't you?"

"I mean, maybe, but..."

"No 'buts'. Count us in." Katie ordered.

My best friends are something else, I swear. What can I say? We can't turn that offer down.

*****

A.N: Wow. This is the longest chapter so far. Toli and Katie finally know about Archer. YAY! There aren't any more secrets. Right? See you guys soon!
Love,