Chapter 19: It's That Time Of The Year

·Grace's POV·

I still can't wrap my head around what happened yesterday between Scott and Archer. And don't get me started with the fact that the latter is now capable of make use of someone else's body. I just want a normal life, is that so much to ask for?

Anyway, today is Christmas Eve and you know what that means? Family, Christmas carols and food. What a perfect combination. But before that, I have to go to St. George and talk to Archer about the fight and also give him his present. It's not much, just a copy of 'Annabel Lee' and other poems by Edgar Allan Poe. I hope it brings him memories of the night we spent together and recited an excerpt from said poem. Call me sentimental, but it's Christmas after all.

My parents and I arrived around three in the afternoon and the rest of my family wasn't supposed to arrive until eight or so.

"Here you are! Come in." My grandpa said to us. "Hello honey."

"Hi!" I kissed his cheek. We're both glad our relationship has remained strong, but I can't tell him why yet. As far as he is concerned, I forgave him because it was a long time ago and he already paid for what he did.

"At what time shall I be here for dinner?"

"Wait, where are you going?" My mum asked me from inside the house.

"Just to go for a walk. The car ride has made me feel a little bit dizzy. That way, I'll go and visit a friend I made some months ago. "

"A friend?" Dad eyed me suspiciously.

"His name is Archer. Don't worry about him, he's a good guy."

If you don't count the many fights he's been into.

"You seem to be very fond of him, darling."

"He's kinda grown on me."

"When are we going to meet him then?" Knowing mum, she's already naming her grandchildren.

"Bye, see you guys later! Call me when the family arrives." I blew them a kiss and ran away before answering that question.

                               ***

As I was entering St. George, I heard an old radio playing 'Jingle Bell Rock' inside the hall. The view before me was hilarious. Archer was using a small ladder to hang some mistletoe up, losing balance in the process. A simple giggle escaped my mouth, what caused him to fall to the ground in surprise. I went to his side running to help him up.

"You're early." He said regaining his stability.

"No traffic jam today. Do you want me to come later Mr. Interior Designer?"

"Ha ha, so funny. Now that you're here, why don't you lend me a hand? Let's decorate the Christmas tree together."

"Sounds good to me. Where did all this come from?"

"It was all stuffed inside boxes in the basement. The fire didn't reach there, so most of the ornaments are pretty well conserved. That would be because it's the first time I've decorated the correctional for Christmas."

"Why? That's a must this time of the year!"

"I didn't seem to care enough about it. I mean, who would I have shared all of this with? This year, that has changed. I felt inspired." He looked at me out of the corner of his eye while hanging a Christmas ball.

"Happy to hear that. By the way, I've got something for you."

"You got me a present?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?"