Chapter 20

I have nothing "spirited" to wear and I also don't know what Roxy actually means by spirited.

School colors?

A rented cheerleader costume?

My face painted in dueling colors and little Ws on my cheeks?

I fall back against my bed, yanking my Hello Kitty pillow over my head. Everything goes blissfully dark, momentarily peaceful. Except for my thoughts, which bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball during a pro tournament.

From Mark's hands brushing under my shirt, rough fingertips against soft skin—

To the crash, splash of the milk carton —

To the way his skin smelled like fresh soap and he tasted like syrup —

To the crack of their perfect picture frame, of their perfect little life —

My phone buzzes incessantly somewhere beside me on the bed.

I reach over, feeling around for it until my hand lands on the smooth surface. Lifting it to my ear, I say: "Ellie Jenkins, life-ruiner, destroyer of wedding fantasies, queen of avoidance — at your service."

"You forgot to say future co-EP of Cooler than You," Vic chirps on the other line. My lips wobble at the sound of his voice.

"And Greta's honorary auntie," Tina adds. "Why can't we see your face?"

I sit up, hugging the pillow as I blink into the light. I hold out the phone, watching them vie for space in Vic's computer camera. Tina fluffs her hair and puckers, which receives an eye roll from Vic, who then looks me straight on with a cock of his left brow.

"You've been dodging us," he says.

"I've been busy."

"Busy. Every flake's go-to excuse."

"He's right," Tina nods, winking into the camera. "And flake is my shtick, thunder stealer. So what gives?"

They both wait, watching me in the camera like I'm a prime time hit.

"You remember number ten on the list?" I ask, crossing my legs and slumping down over my pillow.

"Get your high school crush to help with at least one item on the list," Vic says with a shrug and a smirk. "My favorite."

"He helped me." I suck in a breath. "Like a lot."

Vic and Tina lean forward into the camera, eyes bulging.

"Tell me more, tell me more," Tina sings in a high-pitched voice.

"Like does he have a car," Vic finishes in falsetto.

They both start to snap and sing in unison. "Uh huh, uh huh..." and I really must stop them before they start dancing.

"We kissed."

Their Grease karaoke dissolves into squeals. I turn the volume down on my phone so my parents don't think I smuggled two stuck pigs home from brunch.

"Also, he's engaged." I face-palm as squeals turn into gasps and expletives.

"You dirty dog!" Vic puts a hand over his heart in shock.

"This is better than Keeping Up with the Ks," Tina says. "Hold on, I need to freshen my rosé." She sets Greta on Vic's lap. He begins aggressively scratching behind Greta's ears.

"Andy asked us for an update, by the way," Vic says. "So..." We lock eyes in the camera. He wants the whole story, but I know he'll give Andy the edited-for-TV version. I wish I could reach through the phone and tackle-hug him for his loyalty.