Chapter 24

Darren turned up a few hours later, covered in dirt. He propped the shovel he was carrying against the cabin.

"I dug him a grave," he looked over at John, still sitting beside Taylor's body. "For when he's ready."

That was oddly nice of Darren. Or creepy. I couldn't decide. We had waited in the cabin for John, but he just remained by Taylor's fallen body. We had gathered outside in the hopes that John would do something or at the very least get up. I walked over to him; the sun was starting to set behind the treeline, creating an orange glowing effect along the tips of the trees. Their shadows were extending closer and closer to us, like silent, grabbing hands.

"John." I placed a hand on his shoulder. "We have to do something for Taylor. Darren dug a grave for him."

John took a deep breath before he replied, "Are there any extra sheets?"

"Yes there is, I'll be right back." Ethan ran back into the cabin.

He re-emerged a minute later with an off-white sheet. Together, we placed the sheet flat on the ground and lifted Taylor's stiff body onto it then wrapped him fully.

"Where did you dig the grave?" I asked Darren.

He pointed to the east treeline, "Just under those trees."

I grabbed the shovel as Ethan and John lifted Taylor. We walked to the trees in a make shift funeral precession. Chloe ran to the cabin flower beds and ripped out some blooming buds. Gently, they lowered Taylor's body into the shallow, uneven grave. I couldn't chastise Darren for the crappy quality; digging was hard.

The sheet clad body looked out of place among the wildlife. I stabbed the shovel into the soft ground, not sure on how to proceed. I had never been to a funeral before. John cleared his throat,

"Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech thee oh Lord to receive with mercy unto thine arms the soul of our dear departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life and honor their passing to thy eternal care." He looked down at the grave, pain etched into his features as he took a breath. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

When he finished, silence reined. I guess I should say something. I cleared my throat and all heads turned to me.

"Taylor was like family. We all are. And when we lose a family member, they cannot be replaced. He was like a brother to me. We fought and got along like siblings. At the end of the day all that matters is that we were there for each other, just like Taylor was there for us. He tried to teach me to hunt, unsuccessfully might I add. But he did manage to teach me something else; what is means to be brave. We would have never made it out that police station if not for his sacrifice. That is what it means to be family."

John looked at me with appreciation in his eyes, "Amen."

He bent down and grabbed a handful of dirt, sprinkling it onto the body. I went next and then everyone else after me. I started shoveling the dirt pile back into the hole, but Darren stilled my efforts with a hand on my shoulder. He held his hand out for the tool, so I passed it to him and he continued where I had left off. Since the hole wasn't that deep, it didn't take too long to fill. Chloe placed her freshly picked flowers on top of the grave.

Zoe had taken off and reappeared with a makeshift cross, grave marker. She stuck it near where Taylor's head would be and Darren hammered it in more with the shovel. Darkness was now upon us, so we started to head back to the cabin. John was the last to leave as he whispered something to the grave that was not meant for our ears.