Epilogue

I don't remember much of the drive back to the house. Hell, I don't even remember how I got out of the medical center. It was like a time skip. One minute I was standing over a dead body, the next I was parked, sitting in the front seat of the Taurus with my backpack in the passenger's side.

I had killed a living person, but I was glad Riley was gone. Something like peace settled over me. I peered into the rearview mirror, prodding at my red neck. Bruising was already starting to mar my skin. I tried to speak, but a squeak was all that escaped. Swallowing hurt like a bitch, but was still working correctly.

There was one less threat in the world and that had to count for something. I was glad I wasn't a religious person. It was hard to believe that killing in self-defense would send your soul to hell.

Was it self-defense? I could have easily got away while he was squirming on the floor in his own blood.He eventually would have died from blood loss anyways. At least, that's what I told myself. But that wasn't the only reason.

I wanted to do it. I wanted to see with my own eyes that he had died. And I did.

I walked from the drive-way to the house, looking no more alive than the mountains of infected I had killed. I felt sub-human. Stopping, I dropped my backpack to the ground. The front door seemed to be getting further and further away. My mind was starting to play tricks on me. My subconscious was none-to-subtly telling me not to go in.  

I was not ready to play human, at least not so soon after. Maybe I should have stayed away. It was faint, but I still heard the sound of the deadbolt being flipped. The door opened to reveal the little concerned face of Chloe. I peered back at her, not saying anything, not daring to move. She looked at me, her eyes taking in the damage I had sustained and the backpack resting at my feet.

She threw open the door and tore down the steps. She ran to me full force. Her arms wrapped around my middle and I could tell she was sobbing.

"You came back!" she cried, hugging me tightly.

I placed a hand on her head. I wanted to tell her that of course I did, but my voice wasn't cooperating at the moment. She looked up at me and I pointed to my neck so she would know why I couldn't speak. She didn't need to know that my reluctance to speak was not only due to physical limitations.

"You're hurt."

I gave her a meager smile and a thumbs-up. She released me and placed her small hand in mine, determination set in her features.

"Don't worry, we will find 'em." 

A/N: Thank you guys for reading! And an extra special thank you to those who voted and commented along the way :) You guys are awesomesauce.

Want to be kept up to date with information about the sequel? Just add this story to your reading list and/or follow me. Ah, shameless self-promotion ;)