Chapter 9

The sky was still dark when Krow saddled his horse to leave. After cinching Namtar tight, he turned to receive his belongings from Lina, who stood with Kastanie in the pool of lantern light. He tied his effects to his supply packs.

Krow swung up into the saddle and looked down at the two of them. Kastanie moved forward, and placed a hand on his leg, looking up with her clear blue eyes. Then, she dropped her gaze. He thought her cheeks reddened in the lantern's ruddy glow. "Krow..."

"What will happen if Lord Went gets his wish?" he asked. "Please tell me."

Her face grew utterly still. Blank. "No."

"I swore an oath," he reminded her. It was madness. It might kill him. But he had to know.

She met his gaze again, and the iron determination he'd recognized the first day was in her eyes. "I don't know."

He snorted in irritation, but silently thanked her for her obstinacy. The truth would have tormented him forever. "Liar."

She removed her hand from his knee and stepped back. That small, delicate smile graced her lips again, and he marveled that he'd never noticed the sadness at its core. "Farewell, Krow."

"M'lady," he murmured, touching his forelock. Krow wheeled Namtar and trotted for the gate. He did not look back.