Chapter 10

You were with Hiccup, Toothless, and Nightshade. You sat on the ground, petting her slowly, lost in thought. Hiccup was happy with the baby dragons and Toothless until he noticed you just sitting there with Nightshade looking worriedly at you. He frowned. He walked over to you.

"(Y/n)?" Your head went up, slightly startled by his voice. You saw that his green eyes were riddled with concern. You looked away from him, not wanting to face him.

"Hey, Hiccup." He sat down next to you. Even if you weren't looking at him, you could still picture the look on his face down to every last detail. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked with a comforting smile. 

"It's nothing." You replied, still looking away from him. Nightshade got up and went over to Toothless, giving you both some space. Hiccup's smile faded in concerned confusion. He tried to keep it on though, wanting you to feel better.

"Hey, it's okay. Come on, what's bothering you? You can tell me, can't you?" You said nothing. He tried to think of reasons why you'd be acting like this. "Homesick?" You glanced at him. He knew that wasn't the main reason. He kept thinking. "Uh...was it something I did?" You still stayed silent. He looked confused as he thought now. Then his face light up. "Oh...is...is it because of me and my mom?" You hung your head a bit. His face fell in sympathy. "Oh, (Y/n), I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel left out." You huffed and pushed his arms off of you and stood up.

"It's not that." You said, turning away and crossing your arms. He looked surprised and even more confused.

"Then...what is it?" He asked, standing up. You sighed heavily, feeling conflicted.

"You're just so...happy here. You even said yes to going with your mother. You know she's not gonna go back to Berk, Hiccup. You think she's going to want to face Stoick?" He flinched a little, knowing you had a point.

"I...I'm sure I can talk to her."

"No, Hiccup. You can't force her to go home."

"(Y/n), listen. With my mom helping us, we can-"

"Hiccup...you still don't get it, do you?"

"What am I supposed to get?" You frowned as your eyes met his and he saw your sadness and even a bit of your fear.

"Hiccup...you belong here, with your mother. With the dragons. I...don't." He looked stunned.

"What? (Y/n), what are you saying?"

"Hiccup, you said yourself you don't want to be chief. Why would you go back to Berk? You know Stoick would just make you chief anyway. Your mother isn't like that. You and Valka get along so well." Hiccup looked at a loss for words. "You know I can't stay here, too. I have a job to do back on Berk. I have my entire family there. I can't just leave them." 

Hiccup walked up to you and hugged you. You blushed a bit, but you didn't understand what this meant. You were about to question him when he surprised you with what he said next.

"(Y/n), I'm not staying here." You paused, stunned for a moment.

"What? But...you look so happy here."

"(Y/n), I know it might take her some convincing, but I know I can get Mom to come with us. Besides..." He began, brushing some hair out of your face and cupping your cheek. "I could never leave you." You smiled a bit, your heart lifting at his loving words.

"Really?"

"I love you so much, (Y/n). Nothing, and I mean nothing, is ever going to change that." He assured, leaning in. His lips brushed yours. "I promise." He whispered before kissing you softly. You kissed back, your heart pounding hard against your chest. You pulled away after a moment.

"I love you, Hiccup."

"I love you too, (Y/n). Never think otherwise." You relaxed fully as you recognized the sincerity in his tone and the truth to his promise. Still, he knew what else would make you feel better. "Come on. Let's go play with the babies, okay?" You smiled and nodded, your fingers intertwining with his. 

"Okay." You both walked over toward the dragons and you giggled as you knelt down and played with the babies. Hiccup chuckled along, watching with a smile. After a moment, you heard Hiccup try to say,

"Well, guys, we can't wait around for Drago to attack this place. We've gotta find him first." You nodded, agreeing that it was the best option. You saw a baby Scuttleclaws nibbling on Toothless' tail. You chuckled and went over to help him. "Let's go." Suddenly, Hiccup tried to shout, but something had obviously covered his mouth. You turned and so did Toothless and Nightshade. You all relaxed as you realized it was just Stoick. 

"Easy now." He told the dragons.

"Are you kidding me? How'd you get in here?" Hiccup said in a whisper tone.

"The same way we're getting you all out." 

"We?" Hiccup asked. 

"All clear!" Gobber called quietly from a tunnel. 

"Toothless. Nightshade. Come." Stoick instructed. You hurried after Hiccup, Stoick, and Gobber with the dragons following behind. Hiccup tried to stop his father so he could explain.

"Dad! There's something you need to know!" 

"Yeah, yeah, tell me on the way."

"This isn't an 'on the way' kind of update, actually." 

"I've heard ENOUGH, Hiccup." Stoick said and kept going.

"It's more of the earth-shattering development variety." Hiccup explained, trying to tell him about Valka.

"Yeah, just add it to the pile." Stoick brushed off.

"Dad, unlike most surprises I spring on you, this one you'll like. I promise! You just have to handle it delicately, so..." Gobber stopped at a different entrance, looking shocked. He turned and patted Stoick on the shoulder.

"Uh, you might want to take this one." He sat down rubbing his face. "Oh, boy." Stoick, expecting danger, drew his sword.

"Dad, can you put the sword away, please?" 

"This is going to be interesting." You muttered. Stoick entered the room and he gasped as he spotted Valka. You, Hiccup, and Gobber all looked at him, waiting for his reaction. Stoick dropped his sword instantly and took off his helmet. Valka looked speechless for a moment as well. The rest of you just watched, wondering how this was going to play out.

"I know what you're going to say, Stoick. How could I have done this? Stayed away all these years. And why didn't I come back to you? To our son. Well, what sign did I have that you could change, Stoick? That anyone on Berk could? I pleaded so many times to stop the fighting, to find another answer, but did any of you listen?" Valka asked to which Stoick remained silent.

"This is why I never married," Gobber added in, talking to you and Hiccup. "This and...one other reason." You raised an eyebrow at him. Are you serious, Gobber? You wondered. You shook your head, brushing off his comment, and turned back to Stoick and Valka. Stoick just kept walking closer to her, saying nothing.

"I know that I left you to raise Hiccup alone...but I thought he'd be better off without me. And I was wrong, I see that now, but... Oh, stop being so stoic, Stoick. Go on...shout, scream, SAY SOMETHING!" He cupped her cheek and she looked stunned. You could see how much emotion both of them were holding inside themselves. What he said next warmed your heart to no end.

"You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." You smiled knowingly as he kissed her. After all these years, all he cared about was getting her back. 

"Well, that went better than we thought it was going to." You said with a giggle. Hiccup nodded in agreement. Finally, things are going right.