Chapter 5: 1946, part one

A/N: I really want to get more reads on this project even if it is more for detoxing than anything else, so please recommend it to other Kennedy lovers and if you shout it out, I'll shout you out in return! <3

**

Yeah, it feels so good to be so young
And have this fun and be successful
I'm so successful, yeah
And, girl, you too you are so young
And beautiful and so successful
I'm so successful
— "Successful" by Ariana Grande

**

Jackie is not like normal girls.

As a senior at Miss Porter's School, she does not have an engagement ring on her finger, and she is not bragging about how wonderful her debutante ball was. She hasn't had one.

Yet it isn't because she's a social outcast. On the contrary, Jackie is pretty and popular. She simply isn't like other girls. Jackie doesn't understand it.

For some reason she's always felt this inner spirit, a rebelliousness she has tried, and failed, to repress. And she hates to conform to any expectations set for her.

When asked about this by her childhood friend Nancy Tuckerman ("Tucky", as she was so affectionately called), Jackie replied: "I dunno, perhaps I've read too much Thoreau."

Jackie often wondered what her purpose in life was. She didn't seem headed toward marriage, at least for the time being. But what did she want to do?

Something important, she decided. She would do something important.

"Hello little miss lonely," Tucky sits down beside Jackie at a table in the commons area. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Jackie rolls her eyes. "Come on Tucky, you know I was just dazing off again."

"Well your silence is a refreshing change from the scream fest going on in the hall."

"Hmm?" Jackie implores as she takes a sip of her hot chocolate.

"They're all fawning over a new senate candidate."

Jackie laughs. "Really? Who?"

"Jack Kennedy." Tucky replies. She pulls a picture cut out from the newspaper from her pocket. Jackie takes it and examines it.

Jackie won't lie...to herself. He's an attractive man, and she understands the frenzy. But still, Jackie is rebellious. She doesn't conform.

"He's just a stupid boy." Jackie hands the picture back to Tucky. "Maybe one of them should consider running for Congress instead of marrying a congressman."

"We don't even know if he'll be elected."

Jackie snorts. "Seriously?"

Tucky shrugs her shoulders and Jackie takes the picture back. "His last name is Kennedy, Tucky. Trust me when I say he'll win."

"Are you implying fraud?" Tucky teases, playfully.

Jackie blows it off and pulls out college brochures from her backpack. Tucky sighs. "I can't stand to look at those things. I already have enough stress."

"I want to go to Sarah Lawrence College but Mom and Dad are making a whole thing of it." Jackie frowns when she reaches the brochure for Vassar, her parents top choice for her.

"It is a pretty campus." Tucky is looking over Jackie's shoulder now, tracing her finger along the picture.

"Yeah, but it wouldn't be my choice, and it should be my choice. I don't want my parents making all of my decisions for me."

Jackie tosses the brochure for Vassar aside and decidedly picks up the one for Sarah Lawrence.

"I'm the master of my own fate." she says, her voice firm and unwavering. "And I won't let them or anyone else decide it for me."

**

A/N: Short but sweet (hopefully)! This chapter will have three parts. One for Jackie, one for Jack, and one for Bobby & Ethel. I also really love the lyrics at the beginning.