Chapter 6: 1946, part two

A/N: Yup, I'm back but I'm not making any promises. Every time I come back on here with a new chapter I promise I'll start writing more frequently, but then I don't write again for two months.

**

Imagine a world like that.
We go like up till I'm sleep on your chest
Love how my face fits so good in your neck
Why can't you imagine a world like that?
Imagine a world.
— "Imagine" by Ariana Grande

**

Ethel is packing the last of her things. After four long years she had finally completed college. She was happy, but there was a problem. Ever since the ski trip, Ethel had found herself in the constant orbit of Kennedys.

She had always enjoyed Jean's company, their hijinks had always provided school life with a certain joyfulness it normally would have been lacking, but being in the constant presence of Bobby was slowly but surely making her go crazy.

Bobby has been dating Patricia for nearly five months, and even though summer was just beginning, it had been full of parties in which they have both been regular guests. Bobby was always attending to Pat, making sure she had everything she needed. Ethel tried her best to stay away from them.

"I don't see why you can't just tell her!" Jean is packing her things, too.

"You know why I can't tell her." Ethel is despondent. She had given up hope a long time ago. "I know Pat. She's so kind, so caring. If I told her she would give up her own happiness for mine."

Jean rolled her eyes. "I don't think she likes him half as much as you do."

Ethel closes her box decisively. "We're not going to talk about it anymore. I'm going to move on with my life. It was just a crush, anyways."

**

The party is at one of Jean's friend's house. Ethel doesn't know her and doesn't really feel like meeting her.

Bobby and Pat had arrived shortly after she had, and Ethel had joined her usual group: Jean and a few men who saw her as one of them. Sometimes she felt being boyish was a curse.

Someone offered her a new glass of spiked punch. She took it. Usually Ethel didn't indulge in that sort of thing, but just two drinks gave her stomach a warm, fuzzy feeling while not intoxicating her too much.

About two hours into the party, Ethel begins to feel claustrophobic and a little bit sick. She decides to go outside for some fresh air.

After pushing her way through hoards of people she finally finds the front door. The breath of relief she feels when the cool summer breeze hits her is indescribable. The sick feeling fades, and the extra space calms her.

"Hey Ethel."

Bobby startles her. She hadn't realized that he had left Pat's side. He's sitting on the front steps, his suit ruffled and his hair a mess. Her heart flutters.

"Oh hi. I hadn't realized you came out here."

Bobby motions inside to the party. "It just got to be too much."

Ethel nodded. "I get what you mean. I can be a bit reclusive too."

"It's just hard to keep up with Pat, ya know?" Bobby says.

Ethel nods. "She's probably the only person I know with such an endless stamina for these sorts of things."

Bobby laughs. "So, you're done with college."

Ethel nods.

"What do you plan on doing?" Bobby asked.

Ethel shrugged her shoulders. She had been contemplating the question at length herself. She had a college degree now, she just wasn't sure what to use it for.

"I don't really know yet," she admitted. "Until I answer that particular question I'm going to be working on your brother's campaign."

Bobby smiles. "Good choice. Jack will appreciate your help, I just know it."

Bobby sighs. "To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure what my purpose in life is either. I'm not as smart as Joe, I'm not as charming as Jack. I don't have anything, really."

"Well of course you have something!" Ethel protested. Bobby seems taken aback. "You care. Much more than Jack does. You have such a strong moral compass, Bobby. Follow that compass and you'll find exactly where you're going."

And in that moment, Ethel sees Bobby's expression change, as if the way he views her has changed. He's about to say something when Pat walks out.

"There you are!" She exclaims. "Bobby, come on, everyone's missing you."

Bobby seems to snap out of whatever trance he was in and stands up. "See you later, Ethel."

Pat grabs his hand and Bobby glances back as he's dragged through the door back into the party.

Ethel stays out there for the rest of the night.

**

A/N: They own my whole soul.