Chapter 33

Chapter 33 

The Voyager was preparing to depart for Capella the following day, accompanied again by the Diell. A large group from the Voyager decided to take advantage of their last night in orbit, and headed down to the planet to pay a farewell visit to the Three Suns.  

Rhys had hesitated before joining them, his last visit to the Three Suns had not ended well! In the end, he allowed himself to be persuaded by a fellow steward. Felix was an older man, an extremely flamboyant om who unashamedly flirted with anyone who gave him the slightest encouragement. As he always did it in public, and knew exactly when to back off, most of the service crew on the Voyager tolerated him with good-natured amusement. He never tried anything with the patrol crew, except for Captain Asaro who said it cheered her up. 

Rhys had enjoyed the evening, having a few rounds of drinks with other serving staff from the Voyager. He had flirted happily with Felix, neither taking the other too seriously, although he felt a quick rush of anticipation when Felix suggested they walk back to the shuttle together. Was he going to make a pass at him? 

They had barely started on their way back to the shuttle when his heart leapt in his throat. Two men were waiting for him in the shadows. They came up on each side of him, sneering as Felix fled back towards the safety of the Three Suns. 

Not again! He knew he should have stayed on the Voyager, Rhys thought despairingly, as he braced himself to face the two men confronting him. "What-" 

Thud. Thud. The fists slammed into his stomach and Rhys doubled up in agony. He fell to the ground clutching his stomach, trying desperately not to throw up. He brought his knees up instinctively, scrabbling in the dirt, trying to protect his body, his groin from the kicking feet. He tried not to blame Felix for deserting him. These men were big and powerful, what could the other man have done against these thugs? 

"I'm going to fix you, fix you so that nobody will want to even look at you!" the low voice threatened viciously. 

Oh please god no, not his face, his face was all he had! He brought both arms up to wrap around his head, trying to bury his face against his chest. 

"Don't mark his face, idiot!" The other man's hoarse whisper caused the swinging foot to stop in mid kick. Before Rhys could feel grateful, the foot connected with his stomach again instead. He lost the battle with his insides and threw up, right where he was lying. 

"That's enough!" That hoarse whisper again. "That'll teach him to spread his stinking lies!" 

"I've only just started!" the other man protested. 

At that moment, a group of three or four men came around the corner from the Three Suns and saw them. 

"There he is!" called out Felix. "Hurry!" 

"Hey! Stop that!" the newcomers broke into a run towards Rhys and his assailants as soon as they realised what was happening. 

Thank god! thought Rhys, Felix hadn't run away, he'd gone to fetch the cavalry. 

The man who had been kicking Rhys turned to flee. Before he had gone three paces a stunner blast caught him in the middle of his back and he went down. The other man stood there waiting for them, the new arrivals were evidently Patrol officers, there was no point in running. He held his arms out from his sides to show he had no weapon. 

Lieutenant Cheung looked in disbelief at the two assailants, the one he had stunned lying on the ground, the other being held firmly between two of his own men. He hadn't quite known whether to believe Felix or not when he had rushed up to him in the Three Suns and grabbed his arm, panting about how two Patrol men were beating up Rhys outside, but there was no doubt about it, he recognised both of them. He didn't know their names but he had seen them both earlier that day, on his visit to the Diell.  

The one man who was conscious, stared back at him defiantly. "Let it be Lieutenant, he had it coming!" he protested, "Telling disgusting lies about the Captain." 

Cheung shook his head. "You should have simply ignored him. Nothing he said, or didn't say, warrants two of you beating him up. I'm going to have to report this to Lieutenant Shehu on the Diell." 

He just caught the hint of a sneer, hastily suppressed, on the face of the man in front of him. 

Wondering what that could be about, he called Shehu on his wrist com. 

"I've got a problem down here on Fayruz, Lieutenant. I've caught two of your men beating up Rhys Owen. He's okay, more or less," he qualified, glancing across at Felix who, having already called Medic Zimmer, was now helping Rhys to sit up, "but can you possibly come down and take charge of them?" 

"Are you sure?" Shehu asked before he could stop himself. It was sheer wishful thinking, he wasn't seriously doubting Cheung. 

"Certain as I'm standing here looking at them," Cheung replied drily. "Apparently it was something Owen said," he added meaningfully, hoping Shehu would understand what he meant. 

Shehu bit back a groan, "I'm on my way. I'll be about thirty minutes." 

"We'll meet you at the space port if you like." 

"That would be much appreciated, Lieutenant," replied Shehu gratefully. "Thank you."  

"How are you feeling now?" Cheung looked across at Rhys, who had been checked over by Medic Zimmer. 

"I just want to get back to my cabin on the Voyager," Rhys replied, getting rather shakily to his feet, grateful for Felix' supportive arm. "If I never come back to Fayruz it will be too soon!" 

"Do you think you can walk to the space port? I'll get you on the next shuttle." 

"I'll help him," Felix volunteered 

Cheung called two more Voyager crew out from the Three Suns to assist and soon the oddly assorted group was on its way to the port, the unconscious man draped between two men, his feet trailing on the ground. Felix and Rhys brought up the rear. 

XXX 

Aboard the Diell's shuttle, Shehu hesitated before alerting the Captain to what was happening. He wished he had more details to give him but he thought he needed the heads up at least. If Rhys had been attacked by men from the Diell for telling someone he'd had sex with their Captain, which looked the most likely scenario... Frankly, it could only be described as a disaster, a disaster which had the potential to break the Diell apart. 

He didn't know what on Earth Farrell could possibly do to contain it.