23. Genetically Found

Once we're back inside, Sam had practically thrown Kevin down on Castiel's bed. Then both Meg and Sam had surrounded the poor kid. At first, they were trying to figure out why he couldn't let go of the tablet. Their theories had ranged from an obnoxious teen to a power hungry vampire. I guess the second made sense since he struck at night.

"You really stepped in it, kid," Meg sassed, her arms crossed. "Oh, man."

"All I know is, this is—it's for me," he finally spoke, calmer than he was when we first found him. "I'm supposed to keep it." He gently shifted the bag closer to his body.

"Good luck," Meg and I both muttered. She looked at me with a certain glee in her eye while I looked away at the sight.

"But you don't know what it is?" Sam started the conversation up again. Kevin answered by shaking his head. Then Sam thought for a second, nodded, and tried another route. "Open it."

Kevin slowly did as told, unzipping the bag and taking out two pieces of the broken Word. He looked at them curiously and fit the two pieces together. They fused together with a yellow light. My eyes widened at the partially fixed Word of God.

"Do that again," I demanded quietly. He did as told, grabbing the last piece and doing the same thing like last time. They combined with a flash of yellow light. Before any of us can say anything, he squints at the Word of God.

"It's writing," he stated plainly.

"Yeah. Yeah, we get that," Sam replied, sounding a bit bored.

"What's Leviathan?"

A sudden enthusiasm filled Sam's voice and actions. "What? You can read it? Is that what it says?" He sort of bounced on the balls of his feet.

"Sort of," Kevin wined, rubbing his eyes. "It hurts a little. Like looking through somebody else's glasses, but I think it... it's about Leviathan, how it came to be. God locked him up far away, right? Like in jail... because they're so..." all the color drained from his face while he looked up at us. "They're... They're real, aren't they?"

Sam looked down, trying to put the truth lightly. "Yeah, Kevin. They-they are. And they're here," he informed him. I looked away. They took my face. I wonder what my parents think, me working for Dick Roman. "Does it say anything about how to kill them? 'Cause that's-that's kind of been a problem."

"I don't know," the kid said. " It's not like reading reading. It..."

"It's hard to focus on?" I guessed. Sam and Meg both turned to me. I was leaning against the back wall, watching the scene unfold. I was caught in strange thought. Things like, how could the kid read it?

"Ye-yeah."

Not a second later the lights started to flicker. I looked at Meg to see her eyes were black. I closed mine and looked away with a frightened gasp.

"Sam. Something's up," she spoke.

"What?" Next thing I hear is Kevin screaming and bed springs.

I can't open my eyes to see what's unfolding in front of me. My shaking arms reach for my head, searching for my hair. My legs slightly give out, making me shrink down the wall. The pumping of blood filled my ears. My knees met my chest. It wasn't a panic attack, but pain. My chest filled with pain. My head filled with pain. And that pain spread, to my arms, hands, legs, and feet. My whole body felt like it was on fire.

When it all receded, my hearing was still impaired. A high pitch whine. When I opened my eyes, my eyesight had little flakes of black in it. Next thing I know, I'm getting thrown against a wall.