CHAPTER 2

I sat curled up in a corner no longer struggling to be free from the chains I was bound in. I stared vaguely in the dark room, watching every corner of it. I watched how little ants go up the walls in their numbers gathering crumbs of dry bread that was passed beneath the door for me as dinner like I was some dog. I repeatedly counted the dark ceiling, squinting my eyes so badly like it would help me feel better. I was in so much pain; physical and emotional pain. My wrist ached from the chains and I longed to get away from it. I was bound in a way that I could either sit or lie on the bare floor. I could catch a cold that way. My eyes scaled the tall brick walls, watching ever so closely how the ants managed to pass between the bricks.

My gaze drove past the ever so hardworking ants and fixated at the tiny window in front of me. Bright sunlight beamed through it, flashing against the wooden door to my left. It was once my way to a new life, fresh breath but the thud my body made against the trees and the bare floor drew more attention than I expected. I fractured a rib or two maybe. I froze at the sight of the thugs he sent to me and my eyes lost sight.

I sigh at the thought of my escape and admitted inwardly that I was damn stupid to think I won't be caught.

*Flashback*

Today is gonna be the worst day of my life. A day without Kyle in it is hell. I haven't known this school so well. She takes me everywhere I need to be. And now that she feeling under the weather, I have to go on my own. It's not like I'm scared or something, it's just that I'm going to be bored. Nobody to gossip with, nobody to laugh with, nobody to make fun of teachers with, just me, myself and I.

I really hope I would learn something today. I just thank the heavens that it's Friday and I have just History class to attend.

Asides the fact that there's no one to keep me company, I also realise that there isn't any one to keep Kyle company too. She has been underneath her duvet for hours now, sipping little from the steaming hot bitter tea I made for her. She has been running temperature all through the night and has refused to go to the hospital for a check up.

"I have to leave now Kay." I said to her stuffing my bags with textbooks. Yah yah we've already nicknamed ourselves. I happen to be attracted to this woman.

"Alright dear. I'll be right here, all alone" she said guilt tripping me.

"I'll text you once I'm done. Okay?"

"Yeah! Whatever" she said turning away from me while I disappeared through the hallway.

***
Hey babe. What are you up to. I'm done with the class. I'll catch up with you in like let's say thirty.

I typed the message and hit the send button. I searched through my bag for my map. I've been around for about two weeks but I still can't find my way around the place.

The buildings are large and confusing and so is the map I'm using right now. I can't even find where I am on the map talk more of looking for the library.

"Stupid map" I muttered under my breath after hovering over the thing for five minutes.

" Having problems?" A dude in glasses asked me. He seemed sweet, calm and harmless. He had this cute smile that formed tiny lines near his eyes. I couldn't make out a shape of his eyes because of the glasses he was wearing. He looked at me eagerly waiting for my response.

"Oh! It's just that I'm finding it difficult to read this map." I say and roll my eyes.

"I see. Where are you going?"

"I'm heading for the library."

"The library is in an entirely different building, you know"

Fuck that! This school is incredible.