CHAPTER 3

The slow footsteps that came from the outside of the room stole my thoughts away. The steps were with purpose and I could say affirmatively whose footsteps they were. As the sole of the shoes hit the hard marble floor, the sound pierced through my eardrums. I wanted so badly to get up and break the door and straggle the soul the walked towards the room. I would have no regrets the day I would pass a knife through his heart.

He used to be my everything, the love of my life. He used to be my husband; an angel. But in matter of seconds he became my nothing, the worst thing that has ever happened to me; a beast, a monster, the devil himself. I can't wait to kill him.

The footsteps came closer to the door drawing my attention to the door. I watched how the door knob turned and the creaking sound of the door caused an irritation in my ears. He came in along side two minions.

"Get her" he instructed striding towards the window as they grabbed me from the floor forcing me to stand; making the chain pull the flesh on my wrist.

"You disgust me" I said letting my tears flow. He turned to face me allowing me to see the monster he could be.

"Awwn! She speaks." He said annoyingly. "Lose the chain" he instructed fixing his gaze at my eyes. I turned away from him because I knew how alluring those eyes could be. I heave a sigh of relief once the chains were off my wrist.
He grabbed me by my wrist and squeezed on the bruises.

"I have a statement to make in front of the whole city and TV channels as well. I want to prove that I have nothing to do with your disappearance. And you must come as a witness but you will be in the crowd. You have from now till Friday to think or else" he said letting his lips curl up in the corner.

"You have everything to do with my disappearance and you want me to declare you innocent. After making me your slave?"

"Yes. That's it. So think my darling. Think." He said pulling me into a kiss. I would have slapped him but his grip on my wrist became stronger. Those kisses that used to taste like cotton candy now taste like bitter tea.

"Let her be. Get her ready for me." He instructed as they led me out of the room.

*Flashback*

"Vanessa! Kyle's here. You better hurry up." My mum shouted from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back. I moved into the bedroom space and hopped into one of my favourite skinny jeans. I wore a crop top over the jeans. I had already packed my bags the night before so it would be easier getting it. I sprinted the stairs and went in for a hug with Kyle.

"I'm so sorry." I said keeping my grin as wide as possible.

"She is always this clumsy." My mum chipped in setting the table for breakfast.

"Mum?" I called her attention and pulled out a chair for Kyle taking my seat next to her.

"I haven't seen Jessica" Kyle said before sipping from her tea.

"She went for a run with Atlas since morning and I haven't seen her since then." Mum said heading for the kitchen.

"What's up with her and Atlas?" Kyle asked in a very low tune.

"I think they have a thing."

"Like you and Thomas?" She said

"Hell no! We are just friends"

"And who is this Thomas of a boy?" Mum asked placing two plates of bacons and eggs on the table.

"Nothing mum" I said reaching for a plate.

"Is he your new boyfriend?"

"Yes" Kyle said

"Not at all mum" I said giving Kyle a pinch on her arm.

We ate our lunch in peace. Kyle had her uncle come pick us up before he went to work. He was running a night shift today and decided to drop us off.  His work place was three blocks from Mr Proud Idiot's house; where the party is. I packed a few stuff because I was hoping to also attend Lauren's sleepover party.

"Play safe dears." My mum yelled from the door to our house before the car zoomed off.

He pulled off in front of Mr Proud Idiot's house where the party was at. We walked into the house. Disco lights and loud music filled the air. Young teenagers flooded the place. My eyes searched the entire place looking for a place to sit. I motioned for Lauren to come to us. She was in a very short dress. It had small glittering stones on it. She packed her hair up in a high bun. She looked so pretty and her lip gloss hid her up-turn lip.

"Hey, girls come sit with me over there." She said point to a free seat down the right corner.

"Oh! Perfect." I said pulling Kyle behind me.

"Hey there." I heard a voice; a very familiar voice.

"Hey" I responded just as he would if I had started the conversation. I sat next to Lauren.

"What would you like to drink?" He asked.

"Brandy" Kyle said and Lauren opted too.

"And you pretty?" He asked.

"Something milder" I said and he scoffed making me roll my eyes.

"So Lauren, how is this sleepover of yours going to turn out?" I asked just after Ted left.

"Fun, I guess." She replied. "I've outlisted a lot of fun things tonight like truth or dare, pillow fighting, drinking sessions, and my newly invented 'what do I have in my mouth' game" she added with a mischievous smile.

"Here miss" Ted said dropping a glass of sparkling water in front of me.

"And for the both of you" he said handing them theirs.

"What exactly are we celebrating?" Kyle asked.

We went on with our conversation. We talked about a lot of things; boys, girls, couples. They went on yapping about how cute they thought Thomas and I were. I do agree that my eyes sparkle when I catch a glimpse of him, my stomach clenches anytime I'm around him. But I think I'm the only one feeling this.

We left for Lauren's house. Finally I could taste something good. I helped myself with doughnut and a glass of apple juice. We all had this guffy dance; I had to pair with James.

PS: He is the most disgusting guy in our set. He never dresses well, has this funny braces on and his hair smells like eggs; bad egg to be precise.

I went to the bathroom halfway through the dance as an excuse to escape.

Where is he? He said he would be here.

"What? Oh goodness I can't be thinking of Thomas" I said to myself snapping out of my thoughts.

I went into the living room and everyone was already sitting in a round circle. I stole a spot next to Kyle.

"Why are you all sitting?" I whispered to Kyle.

"Shh! She wants to explain." She wants to explain.

"Now, the bowl in the middle is filled with several foods. You pick something from the bowl and place it in your mouth. The person sitting next to you would have to guess what you picked." She explained.

This is crap. Easy crap.

"Now everyone pick up your blindfolds."

Holy Molly! This wouldn't be so easy.

"You would have to taste it too."

"I get to kiss you?" Kyle whispered into my ears.

"Yes. At least you don't get to kiss James" I said to her we turned our gaze to him. The smile on him face made want to puke.

"Hi everyone" He said from the door. Everyone turned to his direction.

"Come have your seat mister" Lauren said as he moved to me. He sits next to me. I was happy not because it was Thomas but because I wouldn't get to kiss James.

***...***