XXI. motors & masks

I got shoved from one wall of the hallway to the other as these 20 year old geezers raced for their lives to the auditorium. The announcement had come on and a college dean explained that the break-in of yesterday had been handled with and handed over to the police for investigation.

The news about the café incident downtown suddenly made headlines this morning and everyone had been tweeting about it. No doubt, these chases were arousing people's suspicions and causing an uproar.

Some pedestrians had reported that they had seen three members of T6 as they got interviewed on live television. When asked what evidence they had, they went with the fact that there were some suspicious people inside the café at the time of the incident that handled the situation before the police came.

The school made no mention of the café incident, but they did address yesterday's break-in and warned students of the importance of being safe, especially for the next-coming event that was also, no surprise there, trending on social media.

Every student from across campus was called to the auditorium building for a monumental annual announcement. It was a way for them to evacuate class and listen to something they actually care about.

Serenity.

It was now that time of the year. Serena Heatherine would be the star of the day since her family was the host of the dance that was, once again, world-renowned. People came from distinct countries just to capture the moment on the news, and innumerable influential guest speakers came to join in on the enjoyment each year. There was always a surprise top-notch guest, and she never failed the student body there.

I met up with Cody who waited for me on a bench outside and the two of us made our way inside to find seats furthest away from the stage. We were never interested in the dance. On Serenity night, we'd sleep-over at one another's place after doing whatever we pre-planned.

"Ready for another two hour talk about something we don't care about?" Cody grinned as he rubbed my back teasingly and took a seat. I smirked and sat myself down on the seat next to him.

"Where should we go this year?" I nudged the man as other people filed in around us.

He shrugged and gave it some thought. "Last year we went to the lake resort and spent the night there. Since it's Winter, maybe something a little less wet and cold?"

"Movie?" I tilted my head as I waited for him.

"But why spend money when we can illegally download—"

"Shush," I hushed him, my head oddly scanning the heads that turned our way as if they related to us. "Let's go see the new movie. The one that Osias is starring in."

Cody's face lit up in curiosity as he studied me and pondered on my suggestion. "It hasn't even come out yet."

"It will by the time Serenity rolls by. And there won't be any uploads online that you can depend on. Let's go watch the premiere."

"I mean," His hand went to the nape of his neck as he rubbed it gently. "If you want to, sure. So movie night during Serenity, done?"

I grinned. "Done."

"Bring that big blanket we used for the tent a few months back. That'll be enough." The man leaned back into his seat as the lights dimmed down and all the representative speakers of Serenity were ready to start on stage. A projector enlarged their figures on side-screens so that people like me and Cody can still see something we had no interest in.