XXVII. black death

3 y e a r s a g o   c o n t.

I FELL ON MY ELBOWS and heard it cracking

I FELL ON MY ELBOWS and heard it cracking. Wincing, I braced the fall by rolling across the ground to cover area and I quickly got to my feet. My fists raised before me again as I crouched over and positioned my center of balance closer to the ground.

His smirk was evident even through the sweat dripping down his face. He beckoned a finger towards me and I clenched my jaw, closing in on his body. He swat my leg from underneath me. I slid out the way just enough to pack a hit to his back.

We skidded back like two identical poles of a magnet and braced ourselves on our knees for a moment. My ears popped and then became dead silent of all sound, but I still heard my own chest rising and falling steadily to cool down.

Still resting my hands on my knees and crouching over, I spotted the man before me moving to the side like he was ready for another round. I groaned, straightening up with difficulty.

To my surprise, I instead saw Pierce holding out two towels in his hands, already draping one over his neck. He tossed me the spare one and my arms shot up in the air to try and catch it.

But then I realized that my arms felt like deadweight and frankly, I had no motivation to catch the towel with my hands.

So I moved my body lazily to the left and caught the sheet with my face. The cold material cooled down my heating skin. I breathed out in satisfaction before I slid the towel off with my right hand.

I peered back at Pierce, and in a split second, I laughed. He was examining me like I was some kind of zoo animal, slowly wiping the nape of his neck with his towel.

"Alright, ninja turtles," came a voice from the side of the room where the towels came from. "X won this round."

I draped my towel over my shoulders and brushed back my hair before looking at Osias. "Well, I won last round."

Kenya cracked an amused smile as she glanced back and forth at Pierce and I. "X, did you use Risa's technique at the 12 minute mark?"

I met with Pierce's eyes curiously. "What technique?"

He faked ignorance and lifted his shoulders absentmindedly. At that, Cody commented with a sigh of relief, "At least we know he can still be taught. What a relief."

I made a face. "What technique?" I pressed, earning the other's attention. "What did I teach him?"

Pierce coughed unnecessarily loud by my ear as he shot me an innocent look and then passed by me to gather up his uniform.