Chapter 15

Thankfully it was a short drive to the school. You and Peter had to share the backseat of the car and if he shot you one more adoring puppy-dog look you were going to kick his ass before Loki had the chance. Just because you'd saved his life didn't mean he needed to be an adoring puppy about it. You might have been a bit defensive without your powers. Just a bit...

When Happy pulled up to the school, Loki was out of the car first and almost instantly at your car door to open it for you. You had expected nothing less, so you hadn't even bothered to try to open it for yourself. He held the door open and offered you a hand. You took it and let him help you from the car. You grabbed your bag and books and walked into the school, a little nervous at the attention Loki was getting. Loki pretended not to notice. He was walking with you, one step behind, acting for all the world like a perfect bodyguard.

"Isn't that Loki, the guy who tried to take over the world?"

"Nah, it must just be someone who looks like him,"

Your first stop was to the office. Jarvis had sent you a message that Loki had to sign in as your guard. It was already set up with the staff, but they still had to make everything official. It only took a minute and some very shocked expressions on the receptionists' faces when Loki signed in as 'Loki Laufeyson'. They didn't quite believe it was him until he produced an illusion rose for each of them.

"Flatterer," you laughed at him as you walked from the office. He chuckled and followed you to your locker. You spent a few minutes there, carefully taping up the new pictures to add to your collection. You had pictures of the Avengers taped all over you locker, collected over the past few years. Some were serious, most were silly. Some had been stolen when your teammates weren't paying attention. The one of you and Loki got a place of honor right where you'd see it every time you'd open your locker. It went right next to the one of Loki kissing your hand on your first date, that Pepper had taken. Loki took a minute to look over the pictures and laughed at some of them, especially the one of Thor with the post-it note on his forehead.

"Hey, Y/N," Peter's voice called from down the hall. He was approaching, only a couple lockers away now. Great, just what you needed.

"Hey Peter," you greeted him with a smile, trying to be pleasant to him. Under normal circumstances you would have been. Poor kid didn't know you were a bitch without your powers. Loki put a hand on the small of your back, a reassuring gesture. You gave him a small smile. You were ok. The bell rang the warning that it was time to go to class, saving you from having an awkward strained conversation with Peter. "Sorry! I'll see you later! I can't be late to first period again or Magister Wilger will give me detention." You called, slamming your locker door shut and hefting your morning books more securely in your arms. "This way, Loki," you rushed into the now-crowded hallway. Loki followed close behind and his presence kept the students from crowding you. You didn't know how he did it, but you were grateful for it. "You're going to be bored out of your mind today," you warned him.

"I surely hope so, witchling. I would rather you be safe than I be entertained,"

"I'll be so glad to get my powers back," you sighed heavily. "Or at least be allowed to be armed again,"

"Darling, trust me. You are safe with me," Loki bid you gently.

"I know and I do trust you, but I hate having to rely on someone else for my safety,"

Loki laughed. "You have had fighting lessons from Lady Natasha. You can take care of yourself even without your powers," he reminded you. You finally relaxed when the crowd thinned out some. You opened the door to your classroom and stepped inside, Loki following directly behind you.