epilogue || beginning

The sky was blue. Sure grey clouds decorated and dotted the horizon but Adrien could definitely see blue peeking out between the monochrome colors. He sat on the ground in front of the grave and twirled a blade of grass between his fingers. The smooth green brushed his writing blister as he did so. A bouquet of pink carnations was laid carefully next to the gravestone. He apologized for not bring Plagg. The black cat who usually followed him around was left at home. After his visit, he had somewhere important to be.

"My first book will be published next week," he said softly. The last time he was here his manuscript was still in the editing process. "When I get the first copy I'll be sure to come back and read it to you." The wind kissed his skin softly and tousled his hair. It was a nice day. He breathed in slowly and exhaled. Adrien just felt the sun on his skin and the ground beneath him and was glad he was alive—that he stayed alive.

There were days where missing Marinette made his chest ache all over again. Where he couldn't even get out of bed, but there were also good days. Days where he was able to write—he did that now, he had journals filled with good and bad days—about the world around him and the beauty he found himself surrounded with. His therapist had recommended it and it stuck with him.

"Chloé and Nathanaël just announced their engagement," Adrien spoke aloud. "She texts me from time to time just to check in on me. Things are different from what you wanted," he added sheepishly. He hadn't really spoken to Alya and Nino in years. They had moved away to their dream college while Adrien pieced himself back together. Alya called at first but then they just sort of stopped. Life had caught up to her. He didn't blame her for it.

"My friend Bridgette is finally getting married," he laughed softly and rolled his eyes. "I'm heading there right after this. I just woke up today and thought of you." Adrien tugged on the grass a bit before letting go and finding his voice again. "It's been a long four years without you."

Adrien stared at her name, flashes of a midnight haired girl worked their way through his memory again. The memories warmed his chest in that familiar way he was used to. "I visited your parents the other day to invite them to this release party my father is throwing. They looked well," Adrien added.

The breeze began to pick up and he found his eyes traveling back to the sky. "I guess I should really go now," like always he didn't mean it but knew he should. He stood and brushed his tux pants free of any dirt or grass before crouching back down again and placing his hand on the gravestone. It was smooth and cool beneath his touch. "I'll see you around Mari." He turned to leave and was meant face to face with a woman he didn't expect to see. Alya.

She hadn't changed much but at the same time she changed drastically. Her hair was a bit shorter and the circles under her eyes were darker but her eyes were warm and familiar. Also, she had a baby stroller.

Adrien's eyes were glued to the stroller. "Is that yours?" The question bubbled up from him unexpectedly. She rolled her eyes at him but he saw a smile work itself across her features.

"It's nice to finally see you again Adrien," she laughed but his mind was still reeling. "And yes she's mine. You know a lot can change in a year," Alya laughed quietly. Adrien felt himself smile. He was so incredibly happy and he hadn't even seen his old friend's daughter.

"I didn't realize you and Nino got married," he gripped his own hands in front of him. Alya laughed again and he tilted his head curiously at her answer.

"If we got married do you think we seriously wouldn't invite you?" She gently rolled the stroller back and forth.

"Maybe the invite got lost in the mail," Adrien joked.

Alya sighed and shook her head. "We're planning our wedding now and your name is in our top ten," she teased. "This little ball of sunshine wasn't planned but she's been the best thing that's happened to us." He watched as her features softened as she gazed at her baby. It was weird to think they were growing up.

"May I?" He stepped closer but still couldn't get a good look at Alya and Nino's baby. His heart was fluttering in his chest.

"Of course," she smiled. Alya moved to let him have a better look and when Adrien saw her his breath caught in his throat. She was absolutely beautiful. His friends made this tiny baby and that was weird to think about.

"Uh hello," Adrien said awkwardly. The baby's eyes couldn't settle on one particular thing. Alya laughed and nudged him playfully. "What's her name?" He asked. Alya suddenly tensed.

"Her name is Marinette."

Adrien leaned back. His stomach dropped and he looked at his friend fully. She was biting her lip waiting for his reaction. A lump formed in his throat and he had to clear it a few times before he even thought of speaking.

"It's nice to meet you Marinette," he paused after her name, it left a bittersweet taste in his mouth. "You know you were named after the loveliest person I knew." The baby merely blinked at him and he smiled. "If I had more time I would be sure to spend the whole day with you but sadly I have to go," Adrien looked at Alya as he uttered the last phrase.

"I wanted to apologize," Alya said hurriedly. "I stopped calling and returning your calls. I didn't mean for that to happen but it all just became too much." Marinette made babbling sounds and Adrien's gaze shifted from her to her mother and back again.

"It's okay," he half smiled. "We both weren't ready."

Alya nodded and he saw her eyes well up. She blinked away her tears and wiped under eyes with her fingers. "I think I'm ready now," Alya said softly. Her voice was clouded with hope and sadness. "If you're ready and still have the same phone number."

Adrien smiled at her. "Yeah. I'm ready to start again. I've been ready to live," he glanced at his watch and sighed. "I really have to go but I'll call you later." The young mother nodded at his words. Adrien and Alya shared a lasting hug before letting one another go. It was different this time. They were beginning—or renewing—their friendship.

The world didn't feel as heavy or look as grey as it once did and Adrien was happy to be alive.

++++
Pink carnations mean I will never forget you.

I can't believe this book is finally over! I just want to say a quick thank you to those who have stuck with me from the first publication of the story or those who started reading yesterday! Thank you so much!

I want to provide the number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. It's available 24 hours every day. If you need help please seek it.
1-800-273-8255
Your call is confidential and free.
There are so many other hotlines for some many different circumstances and individuals please look into them if you, a loved one, or a friend need help. I promise you someone is willing to listen and help.

Take care of yourselves.