Chapter Four

I was distracted as I added the coffee cup to the collection on the shelf, and I'm not sure how it happened but I dropped it, and it shattered to pieces.

It was one of my favorites; a British themed cup with red double decker buses and British flags. Thankfully, it was quiet at the shop; just a few customers, and only Mr. Tremblay (one of our regulars) noticed. He looked up from his paper and offered to help. I waved him away, mildly mortified. I was still so preoccupied as I swept the shards into a dustpan -- my mind was full of RAMS, but also Calista. Where was she? How was she doing? What was her story? Maybe it was being in the coffee shop that made me think of her. I hadn't seen her since that fateful day.

Just one or two weeks and I'd need to be replaced. My mom was already looking for someone. I figured that she or he would probably fare better than me. I'd been pretty useless lately; breaking dishes, getting orders wrong, and forgetting to clean the coffee machines and update the supplies list.

When I stood up, I almost had a heart attack. There was Calista, standing at the counter, looking as beautiful as I remembered her. She wore her hair the same way, and was sporting a stylish jacket and scarf. She was just the same, but also so very different. Her aura was lighter, and a hint of a friendly smile traced her lips.

"Hello," she ventured carefully.

I offered her a shy smile. "Hello. How are you?" I asked her in the way you would an old friend. It was kind of strange because we'd never really spoken before. But so much was written between the lines; a whole story. Our story.

"Better," she said quietly. Her cheeks were flushed and she couldn't quite keep eye contact. I didn't need to be a mind reader to know that she felt embarrassed and awkward. It had taken a lot of courage for her to come here again, and I was determined to make her feel welcome. I also had an overwhelming desire to become her friend, her confidante. Was it because I felt that she needed one? Or was it simply curiosity? I still don't know the answer to that question.

"I'm so glad you're here, Calista," I said. "Your order's on the house today."

She smiled. "Oh, no. You don't need to."

"I insist. What'll be?"

She looked up at the specials on the blackboard. "Um... the crème brulée latte sounds good."

"Great choice. It's delicious," I said and I picked out a pretty flower covered cup off the shelf. We have a lot of competition from the chain coffee shops, but no one else offers the quaint atmosphere we do, complete with crazy art on the walls and eclectic coffee mugs. "We also have freshly baked ginger cookies."

"Sounds great."

My heart was pounding. I busied myself with her order and struggled to focus. I wanted to get closer. These past years, I'd struggled to keep my distance from most people, but occasionally the urge would be so strong; the urge to know more, the urge to help.

I handed her the latte and cookie. "Um," I started, barely able to speak. "I... it's not very busy today," I said, not quite finding the courage to utter the next words.

She eyed me curiously, patiently, as if she knew I had more to say.

"I... I was wondering if you'd like company," I blurted, as fast as I could.

She was surprised, but pleasantly so. "Yes, I would love that."

My heartbeat eased, and I exhaled. I hadn't realized I'd been holding my breath. "Great, I'll get myself a tea and cookie and join you."

I was quick to get my tea, and I joined her at one of the small round tables. She sipped her latte. "Mmmm, this is good."

"Thank you."