Chapter Seventeen

Simone finally got her way.

Following an hour in the Wi-Fi lounge, we ended up going to the posh restaurant at the hotel for dinner. We'd wanted pub food, but she'd insisted on a nice healthy meal.

When the server handed us the menus, Simone reminded us that we are what we eat, that our minds are much more exceptional when they are healthy. She was really starting to get on my nerves, and on everyone else's too, I'm sure.

Simone was not in the best of moods, and it had to do with me. She was upset at me, and I knew this because... well, the whole mind-reading thing. Sometimes I really wish I were normal.

I felt horrible. I felt like a complete disappointment, like the time my mother asked me to clear the table at my grandma's house, and I dropped one of the plates. It shattered to pieces (it was part of a set). It was also an antique, one of her most prized possessions. I sobbed as my grandma said to me, "It's no big deal, darling. It's just a plate. The important thing is that you're not hurt." I couldn't stop crying because I knew she was lying. Sometimes, being a mind reader really sucks.

Everyone was super uptight, despite the fact that the restaurant was very soothing; modern chairs and décor, and crisp white linens with sky blue accents. If it had been a joyful occasion, I would have been happy to be there. Simone suggested the beef bourguignon, and although I'm not a huge fan of beef, I ordered it. The meat felt rubbery, and I forced myself to scarf it down. We talked about the case – it was an unofficial dinner meeting. Simone wrote down notes over dessert.

I barely uttered three words. I was afraid of saying the wrong thing. I had messed up enough for the day. Kendra was convinced that Haley was still out there, and we all agreed. Brianna didn't have much to add, nor did Ace. Ace mentioned that the subconscious memories he was able to bring forth from Jenna hadn't provided any additional useful information. He hadn't had the chance to do a session with Mr. Henderson because... of me.

I was excited to share my findings, to prove that I wasn't a complete waste, that she hadn't made a mistake taking me on at RAMS. But I just couldn't find the courage to speak up, and Leo beat me to the punch.

He talked about another man in Mrs. Henderson's life. A mysterious, dark man. Apparently, he had seen him, too. But he had also seen something else... Apparently, this man used to live on the Hendersons' property, in the guest house.

Damn, he's good.

Why did they even need me here when they had Leo? And he could do cool things with fire, to boot. I was starting to hate him. Although, I still found him incredibly cute.

Damn him.

I was hoping he wouldn't have seen Mr. Henderson's 'other woman', but no such luck. He'd seen her, too. And unlike me, he'd gotten a better look at her. Apparently, she had long red hair. There went my theory that Mr. Henderson was having a wild, torrid affair with the babysitter.

Simone cheered up following our discussion. She patted Leo on the back, and praised him. "Good work, Mr. Estrada." Leo blushed. I wanted to gag.

Damn him. And damn her.

I kind of hated him, but I was also very happy because it felt like we were getting closer. And in the end, it didn't matter who found Haley, who contributed valuable intel, as long as she was found.

When we got to our room, I was glad to see that housekeeping had made up my pull-out bed. I plopped down on my bed and closed my eyes for a few seconds.

"Mrs. Henderson is so pretty," Kendra chirped. "I wonder what her lover looks like."

Brianna sat on her bed and removed her chunky heels. "Me, too. I bet he's hot."