Thirty Three

HAVE you ever had the feeling of being watched?

I'm used to being overlooked. Disregarded so completely that I'm used to getting looks of annoyance or disapproval when I make myself known. But never watched.

And it's not the type of being watched that makes your stomach flip in that thrilling kind of sexy way. No, it's unsettling and brings goosebumps to the surface of my already chilled skin.

I'm on high alert as I walk in the dark blanket of the night. My eyes keep scanning my surroundings as I make my way home to my apartment.

No one seems to be around. It's deadly quiet this late at night. The crunching of my boots against the decaying leaves explodes loudly making me jump every few seconds.

I was studying in the library all evening by myself. But now I'm realizing that I made a mistake getting so lost in my studies. Because as I inch closer to my building it's as if the tension in the air begins to tighten so much I feel as if it might burst and it gets harder and harder to catch my breath. Everything feels so off kilter.

The sudden chill dancing down my spine has nothing to do with the late November wind. There's a nagging voice in my head that's yelling at me to call Preston. My hand instinctively flexes around the phone in my pocket, but I drop it with a shake of my head realizing I'm being overly dramatic.

Even if my brain is telling me to calm down, my eyes still continue to flicker nervously around me. The wind starts to pick up and the branches of the trees that surround me begin to dance wildly casting large shadows over me with the assistance of the large looming street lamps.

I pull my keys out swiftly. The key to the front entrance is already out and ready when I hear a branch snap next to me. My head whips to see an animal scamper away quickly. With a sigh of relief that floods my entire body I enter the front lobby and make sure the door clicks shut behind me.

For a moment I look out the glass doors to see if anything sticks out. Anything looks off. But it looks as it always does, but nonetheless my body still remains tense.

I enter the elevator and the doors roll shut when my phone dings. I expect to see a text from Preston but instead it's from an unknown number.

My fingers hesitate for a second before I swipe my screen to open the message up.

Did you see me?

Ice as sharp as daggers slices through my veins.

My fingers type against the screen slowly. Who is this?

Because I saw you

Before I can respond an image appears on the screen of me from just moments earlier walking outside.

My chest tightens as fear takes me by the throat and my eyes remain glued to the image on my phone.

My stomach rolls thickly as nausea rises within me as my phone buzzes again.

I can't wait to make you scream

My free hand flies to my mouth as hot tears rise behind my eyes.

It will make him so blue

The elevator doors slide open as I arrive at my floor, but I don't move. I'm frozen in shock until the doors begin to shut again.

With a racing mind I dash out of the elevator before the doors close again and down the hallway. I unlock my door and slam it shut behind me letting my body rest against it as my chest heaves and my body trembles. My fingers find the lock and the sound settles over me with hesitant relief.