Chapter 23: breaking and a promise

The night passed silently. No voice or call was heard again across the water. The next day began with a thick fog and humid weather. After a long discussion, they decided to go from the shores to avoid the Sarn Gebir dangers and start their journey on the river in safer waters again.

Already the short afternoon was past, and a dim cloudy dusk was closing in that finally all was brought safe to the southern landing. They sat beside the water listening to the confused rush and roar of the Rapids hidden in the mist. They were tired and sleepy, and their hearts were as gloomy as the dying day. They decided to rest the night and began to move at morning.

Nothing happened that night. As soon as it was fully light they started. Already the fog was thinning. They kept as close as they could to the western side, and they could see the dim shapes of the low cliffs rising ever higher, shadowy walls with their feet in the hurrying river.

Soon they reached the high pillars of Argonath. Niphredil looked at the giants with awe. The keepers of the realm of Gondor had stood there with grim faces. Aragorn's boat was near them. She looked at him. There was something in his face that she had not seen before. Pride and power that belongs to the high kings of Gondor. "soon you will face your fate, Aragorn. You can't hide from your destiny anymore. What will you do? Flee or stand and defeat your fears?" thought Niphredil. It seemed Aragorn heard her, cause he turned and looked at her with an unreadable face.

They passed the pillars and the narrow passage of the river between the high cliffs and soon they were in the lake before Rauros.

They led the boats into the shores of Amon Hen where the last decision must be taken. Now they could not continue without choosing which way to take, whether go to Minath trith as Boromir wished or go straight to Mordor from Emyn Muil and to the black gates.

In her heart, Niphredil knew that a big event will happen there. She had decided to trust her heart as lady Galadriel had told her. For now, she would stay with Frodo. They drew up their boats on the green banks, and beside them, they made their camp.

When they had eaten, Aragorn called the Company together. "The day has come at last," he said. "the day of choice which we have long delayed. What shall now become of our Company that has traveled so far in fellowship? Shall we turn west with Boromir and go to the Gondor? or turn east to the Fear and Shadow? or shall we break our fellowship and go this way and that as each may choose? Whatever we do must be done soon. We cannot long halt here. The enemy is on the eastern shore, we know. but I fear that the Orcs may already be on this side of the water."

There was a long silence in which no one spoke or moved.

"Well, Frodo," said Niphredil at last. "I fear that the burden is laid upon you. You are the bearer appointed by the Council. Your own way you alone can choose." Frodo looked at Aragorn, but he shook his head. "In this matter, I cannot advise you. I am not Gandalf, and though I have tried to bear his part, I do not know what design or hope he had for this hour, if indeed he had any. Most likely it seems that if he were here now the choice would still wait on you. Such is your fate."

Frodo did not answer at once. Then he spoke slowly. "I know that haste is needed, yet I cannot choose. The burden is heavy. Give me an hour longer, and I will speak. Let me be alone!"

Aragorn looked at him with kindly pity. "Very well, Frodo son of Drogo," he said. "You shall have an hour, and you shall be alone. We will stay here for a while. But do not stray far or out of call." Frodo nodded and left the group.

Legolas went to Aragorn. "We should leave now." he whispered to Aragorn.

"No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of darkness." he whispered back. Legolas looked at their surroundings. "It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it."