Chapter 23 - Ryo

The rest of the week was much the same; more classes where I was trying to perform simple spells with varied results, more staring and muttering from other students, and more embarrassment as a result. However, the upside to all of this was that Hunter, Az and Olivia were almost always by my side which did, surprisingly, make me feel a little better.

In my Focus Abjuration lesson on Friday, I actually managed to produce a small, weak ward, thanks to the encouragement of Ms Carter, the Master of Abjuration. Ms Carter was cheerful, supportive woman who always seemed to be smiling. She had taken her time and encouraged me, leading me through the theoretical and practical basics of a warding spell, and I had actually succeeded because of it. I could see why Mr Beck liked her so much.

When the weekend rolled around, I was glad to not have classes. I felt like I needed a break from the prying eyes and the spell books, and I was fully intending to spend the next two days hiding away alone in my dorm room. Unfortunately, Hunter had different plans.

"I thought we could all go to the training field so we can help you out with a few of the more...dangerous spells. The more you practise, the sooner you'll catch up." I couldn't deny the logic of his plan, but I still felt a little uneasy.

"W-Won't there be...people at the tr-training f-field?"

He smiled understandingly. "Nah, no one trains at the weekends, at least not until The Clash rolls around. It'll be dead, I promise."

"Um...okay. But don't you..." I sighed and continued, "Don't you want to sp-spend your weekend d-d-doing something you'll actually e-enjoy?"

"Dude, messing around with some exciting spells will be fun! Trust me, we won't be bored at all." I wasn't convinced but he left me little choice when he, once again, ran from the room, leaving me little choice but to follow him. I sighed but followed him anyway.

Five minutes later, the four of us were gathered in the training field, lined up opposite large targets that floated in mid-air. Hunter, Az and Olivia spent a couple of minutes lobbing small baseball sized fireballs at the targets, missing more often than hitting them. I had tried to summon up a fireball, but so far had only managed a small flame no larger than a grape.

Hunter, noticing my struggle, stopped lobbing fireballs and came to stand behind me. I tensed when he put his hands on my shoulders.

"Close your eyes," he said softly, sending shivers through my body.

"Wh-Wh-What?!" I stammered worse than usual.

"Trust me. Just close your eyes." I closed them and he continued speaking. "When I start to learn a new spell, I do this too. Calm your mind, try to focus solely on your breathing. In and out." I obeyed his instruction and felt myself begin to calm down a little. I tried to focus on just my breathing but found it hard with Hunters' warm hands on my shoulders. I forced myself to ignore them, and eventually I felt myself relax, and my breathing slow.

"That's good. Now think about just the spell. Think about the effect. Think about the flame, small at first and growing larger." I did just that.

"Now channel the magic. And keep thinking about the flame. Release the magic while focusing on the image. You can do this, Charlie."

I followed his every instruction and was surprised when I felt heat in my hands. I opened my eyes and there it was; a fireball the size of a small melon sitting in my hand. I looked from the fireball to Hunter, who was now standing beside me, grinning broadly.

"Knew you could do it," he said quietly, and my spirits soared. I grinned shyly at Hunter who was beaming back. Unfortunately, the fireball began to grow in size when the warm fuzzy feeling he had evoked in me caused me to lose focus, and I let out a surge of magic from my hands. This shocked the both of us and essentially ruined whatever moment I thought we might have been having.