Chapter 26 - Home

I had spent the rest of the week in a sort of funk, worrying about The Clash, and as a result my spellwork was suffering; I just couldn't concentrate on anything else but my imminent demise. The worst was when I was trying to transmute water into milk, and I had accidentally created a curdled, mouldy, cheesy gloop that had everyone running outside as the horrific smell spread rapidly around the room.

Hunter was still a little less cheerful whenever we spoke. Olivia was acting overly nice to me in a way that made me feel like I had a terminal diagnosis and she was trying to keep my spirits up. Az seemed to the most normal around me, but every so often I caught him looking at me and frowning slightly.

So, when Mr Beck asked me to stay behind after our Focus class on Friday and gave me some news, I was beyond ecstatic.

"There's been no sign of Umbra in your town for months now, and we've had plenty of time to set up protective spells and wards around your house, so we feel safe enough to let you visit home at the weekends. With a couple of Sentinels nearby just in case, of course."

"Wait, I can go home tomorrow?!" I asked excitedly.

He smiled kindly, "If you want to, yes. I imagine you miss your parents and Zac quite a lot."

"You have no idea!"

"Well if you meet me at the teleportation Circles at the front of the school at twelve tomorrow afternoon, I'll take you home."

"Yes! Thank you, Mr Beck!" I yelled as I left out of his classroom to get to my next class.

"I'll leave it you to tell them you're coming back then, shall I?" he yelled after me and I jogged away from him; I was already texting them to let them know I was coming.

I caught up with my friends in Necromancy and plopped myself behind my desk happily.

"Well, someone's in a good mood." Hunter laughed at my obvious excitement.

"I am! Mr Beck just told me I can visit home this weekend!"

"That's great!" Hunter replied, dazzling me with the first full smile he had in days. "It'll be so nice for you to see your family again!"

"I know, I can't wait!"

"Olivia is visiting her family this weekend two. Looks like it's just you and me, Az."

"I smell a weekend full of gaming and junk food," Az grinned. Olivia just rolled her eyes and muttered what sounded like 'Boys,' under her breath.

We spent that night watching movies in the dorm, but I was honestly ready to just go to sleep so tomorrow would arrive sooner. I excused myself at around ten o'clock, saying I was tired.

"I'll come with you," Hunter said, "I'm pretty tired myself."

"So, what do you have planned with your family?" Hunter asked as we strolled back to our room.

"I text them earlier, mum and dad want to take us all out for dinner. Otherwise I think I just want to spend some time with them all, catch up, you know?"

"Yeah I do," he said quietly. Glancing over, I was shocked to see the sad smile was back.

"Hunter...a-are you okay?" I asked cautiously.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," he said, the look disappearing. "I'm just being stupid."

"You're not stupid," I argued, "What were you thinking about?"

Sighing, he said, "I guess...I dunno, I guess I'm just a little bit...jealous. You have this amazing family and a best friend and...I guess I kinda envy you."