11 - pain

11 warning(s): homophobia, physical abuse, mickey is sad again, sorry in advance

11
warning(s): homophobia, physical abuse, mickey is sad again, sorry in advance

-

Mickey hates summer. Spending every day at his house is torture, and no one really understands. Ever since he could remember, he'd beg Adam to let him stay over during the summer.

It's absolutely unbearable in summer, when he's stuck with his father and brother, with no real escape. At least at Hogwarts, he can get away from Roman. Here, he's trapped between a rock and a hard place.

There are nights when he forgets his mother is gone. Nights when he's dreaming, and it feels like he can do whatever he wants. He can have feelings for whoever he wants. He dreams of bringing a boy home and introducing him to his mother. He dreams of a father and brother who aren't so prejudiced against him.

Summertime is the worst because it's when Roman brings home girls. He brings home girls and Mickey has to watch his father greet them happily, like they're already family. Mickey has to watch this knowing if he brought home a boy, his father would tear the entire house down.

It's just that... Mickey will be seventeen soon. He thinks about beaches and drive-in theaters and slushees that stain your tongue and he thinks of sharing these experiences with someone he would come to adore. He wonders why his father can't just accept him for who he is.

He's headed to the backyard to practice his quidditch when he overhears his father speaking with Monica. "The boy ruined my first marriage, you know. His mother and I disagreed on how to raise him. I wanted to beat the gay out of him, of course..." Mickey hears laughter, and there's a huge stone in his chest where his heart should be.

Why can't his father just love him?

Mickey wants so badly to be loved. Just, unconditionally accepted and cherished and for once, he wants to be somebody's first choice.

It makes him angry that his father can get away with talking about him like that.

He walks into the kitchen. "What did I ever do to you?"

Monica is the first to respond. She lets her eyes drift over Mickey's face and smirks. "It was just a joke, Mickey."

"You don't get to call me that," Mickey seethes. "You don't get to talk to me at all."

His father stands up and slaps the table, causing Mickey to flinch. "Don't you dare talk to her like that!"

Mickey walks up to his father; points his finger between his eyes. "I'll talk to her any way I want! If you want respect from me, then stop treating me like the dirt on the bottom of your damn shoe!"

That's when the first punch is thrown.

It's the most painful out of any he's received, and Mickey can taste blood from where his teeth hit his cheek. But he's got nothing to lose, not really, so he spit the blood out and glares at his father. "Fuck. You."