Chapter X: Epilogue

"I want to thank you for what you did back there. You two are good hunters." Jay said, her hands wrapped tightly around the wheel of her car as she squinted out her open window and into the cold, early-morning sunlight. Sam and Dean stood beside her red El Camino, looking frankly down at her as they stood in the fluffy layer of snow that had fallen on the ground overnight. Jay felt an odd sort of sadness weighing down her heart. But she dismissed it, letting her trademark smile arch across her face. Her upper lip caught slightly on her crooked tooth, as it always did. 

"Well, thank you." Dean replied, shrugging. He bent over, leaning his arm on the window. Motioning with a gesture of his head towards Sam, he added, "You saved our asses too, and we won't forget that."

Jay let her smile settle into a smirk of satisfaction as Sam offered a quick, "Yeah, thanks." 

"No problem." She replied, shaking her head. "I don't usually work with other hunters, but when I do, I'll never turn my back on them, no matter the circumstance. I swear by that."

"It's a damn good thing to swear by." Dean told her with a smirk. There was a pause as Jay caught a glimmer of some strange, foreign emotion in Dean's young yet wise green eyes. The older Winchester straightened up, glancing back at his brother, blinking the glint away. "Go and get your things in the Impala, I'll be right there." He ordered, and, sharing a knowing smile with Jay, Sam headed off to do so. Turning back to face Jay, Dean leaned in her window again and retorted, "so, when am I gonna get that drink?"

This earned him a slightly cursory, condescending glare. Jay quirked an eyebrow, unimpressed, and simpered when Dean's expression grew mildly deflated. 

"Maybe when you're older," she retaliated, grinning triumphantly when his face fell slightly. She reached out the window, punching his arm playfully. "But hey, you've got my number. I suppose you can call the shots on that one. Until then, ciao!" Winking at him as Ozzy gave a subdued 'mrrrow' of impatience from the backseat, Jay shifted into drive, pressing slowly on the gas. Her car began to inch forward, the snow crunching and squeaking underneath the tires. But just before she rolled up the window, Jay called out, "I hope to see you 'round, kid!" 

Dean stared after her car, feeling oddly shut down, yet somehow hopeful. He smiled to himself, letting out a brief chuckle. Jay-not-Jacqueline Kingsleigh in her cherry-red El Camino with her gaurd-dog Ozzy. Suddenly Sam cleared his throat. 

"I'm ready when you are, kid." He said snidely, smirking evilly as any little brother who's found the perfect ammunition to use against his older sibling should. Dean sneered at him, shoving past as he headed towards the car. 

"Shut up and just get in." He said sharply, wrenching open his door and climbing in without another word. Sniggering proudly, Sam did as Dean told, joining him in the car. There was minimal conversation as they pulled out of the parking lot, their tires falling in line with the tracks that Jay's had left. But once they were on the road again, with uptown Colorado in their rearview mirror, Dean spoke. 

"You did good the last few days." He commented, shooting his brother a sideways glance. Sam looked up in surprise, his face not exactly brightening. 

"Uh, thanks, Dean." he replied hesitantly. 

"No, I mean it, man." Dean assured him, returning his eyes to the road as flecks of snow came racing at the windsheild. "Are you sure you don't want to stay?"

Sam was quiet for a moment, pondering. He breathed slowly through his nose, his mood significantly dampened by the sudden question. He frowned, shaking his head, not meeting his brother's eyes. "Yeah, Dean." He muttered darkly. "I'm sure."

So then Dean let the topic drop. He wasn't one for conversation anyhow. Too mushy for him. So they drove on in silence, with Led Zeppelin blasting the speakers, until the last gleam of their tail lights had vanished into the gathering dark. 

THE END.