Epilogue

Years had passed since Hallow's failed attempt to take over the kingdom of the living. Despite the outcome, Princess Leiah had kept her promise to him.

Halloween was now celebrated each year, and with it, the magic that kept Hallow's kingdom alive was abundant. His citizens no longer had to worry about fading into nothing due to the lack of celebration from the living. If anything, they marked Hallow as victorious in his quest- though he saw it as the opposite.

He had tried to communicate with Princess Leiah through letters, attempting to discover what was going in in her life. That way, he could figure out when it was an appropriate time to try and seize Feria once again. Catarina warned him that he needed to be patient, but after so long he had to see the kingdom of Feria again.

Cat knew it was just an excuse to see the princess, but Hallow would only scold her if she spoke his thoughts out loud.

"Are you sure about this?" Cat questioned, watching as Hallow polished his boots in his quarters, "It's been a very long time since you've last seen her. Everything's different up there."

"How different can it be? The old bag of a king will still be there, along with the traitorous Tyrell, and- ah lovely Leiah. Do you think I should bring Midnight? She might miss him."

Cat knew Hallow was oblivious to everything that had happened upstairs. He still thought that the kingdom was exactly as he had left it. The only issue was, many years had passed, much more than what Hallow thought.

"If you will excuse me, I'm off. I shall be back in a short while."

"Hallow?"

"What now?"

Catarina wore a small smile, swallowing back the words she was initially going to say. Instead, she patted his back, "I just wanted to tell you to have fun. Be back soon so you can join us for dinner."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Hallow snapped his fingers, dissapearing in a black, cloudy mist.

~🎃~

Hallow clawed his way out of a grave, coughing up pieces of dirt and flinging a dead body away from him.

"Excuse me, old friend. I have a rather important date." He apologized to the corpse, dusting down his clothes and sighing at his now dirty armor. He really should have teleported somewhere else, now Leiah was going to think less of him...not that she didn't already, after his betrayal.

Hallow decided to put the past behind him as he marched out of the cemetery. He noticed the the stones of the dead were much more damaged than the last time he was upstairs. Perhaps Feria really didnt care for the cemetery anymore. Shrugging, he continued on his merry way and into the empty streets of the village.

It was night time, and despite it making sense that nobody would be around, Hallow felt like everything was unsually...quiet. He got on all fours, sniffing one of the resident doors nearby with narrowed eyes.

The place was cold, and their was no sign of a human scent anywhere near him. Hallow scratched the side of his head with confusion, glancing up at a familiar kingdom that sat on top of a hill.

The kingdom was without a doubt still inhabited, as he could make out the distant flickering of a few lamps that surrounded the exterior.

With annoyance, Hallow teleported directly inside the rocky walls, finding himself in a room that he once knew.

It was Leiah's, for sure, except everything had changed. The halloween cutouts he once saw pasted on her walls were gone. The soft bed she lay on was scattered with dust...and as Hallow's gaze travelled towards the dirty window, he felt a hint of a something he hadn't felt in a very long time.