Wattpad Original
Осталось ещё 4 бесплатных части

1 - "you are invited to..."

I'm not one for early mornings, especially when I have time to sleep in. I'd rather stay up until dawn, watching the sunrise, and then sleep till noon.

But today is different.

My hands are shaking. I'm not cold, I'm not scared either, but I can feel the nerves starting to creep in. My future is going to change in this very instant. Everything that comes next will depend on whether or not I receive the letter.

The letter for Hartville's university admission.

If I receive it, I'll be one step closer to the school I've been dreaming about since I was fourteen.

The front door swings open with a creak, and I remind myself to tell Lottie to oil it later as a joke. I know she never will.

My heart is pounding so loudly and I've only taken the first step outside. I'm not wearing any shoes, but thankfully, it's summer and the breeze is already warming my skin.

"Lu, I don't think the postman has even come by yet. It's only 8 in the morning!" Lottie says, standing at the door, arms folded across her chest as she smirks at me.

She's dressed in her blue scrubs, ready for another shift at the hospital. Her brown hair is tied back in a tight bun, except for one loose strand that curls on the left side of her face that I know she will fuss over later, trying desperately to pin it back with no luck. She clasps her olive hands together and I already envy the fact that she is tanned at the beginning of summer, while I will be pale throughout. Her green eyes blink at me in amusement as she takes in my quick stride towards the letterbox.

I'm crossing my fingers behind my back, praying that it will be here. "I saw him come five minutes ago! I was looking out my bedroom window."

"Of course you were," she says, rolling her eyes at me.

I grin, watching as she checks the time on what used to be our mother's watch, before muttering to herself about being late and heading back inside.

I crouch down in front of the letterbox and stick my hand in quickly. I feel around inside until my hand lands on a pile of thick envelopes and my heart leaps. When I pull my hand back out though, my heart plummets.

"Another bill, a two-for-one deal at Pancake World, another bill, a..." I stop muttering suddenly. Written in neat cursive writing is a letter. Addressed to me.

Had I been expecting anything? Well, yes, I'm expecting an admission letter for my dream university but not a letter this small.

When I turn it over, there is no return address and I frown. Curiosity gets the better of me as I rip open the seal, pulling out the small piece of paper inside.

It's an invitation.

"To Luna Lloyd, you are invited to..." I choke, coughing frantically. I start to walk back up the driveway, needing a glass of water and a serious eye check to make sure I'm really seeing this.

No way. There is no way after five years that I would get an invite to—

"What's the problem?" Lottie frowns, looking in the mirror next to the entrance, trying to pin back that one strand of hair.

"Are you hyperventilating because you got the letter?" She grins, turning to face me. "I told you that you would!" she says, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"I'm so proud of you!" She squeezes me in a tight hug, which doesn't help the fact that I already can't breathe.

"Get off...can't... breathe," I wheeze, fighting my way out of her hold.