Chapter Thirty Six

Jax's PoV

We were all in position. We were just lying in wait on the border of Alpha Matthews territory for the signal from one of our guys so that we could finally put our plan into action.

My skin was itching to shift, to run and find my Annabelle, but I knew that if I did that then I would be putting everyone's life in danger. The plan we had would work, I just had to be patient and hope that I wasn't too late.

Finally, after what felt like hours, we got the signal that we could move in. We had decided to stay in human form until the last possible second. Not only will it save our energy for when it really counted, it would also give us the element of surprise we desperately needed.

When we shifted into our wolf form our scent was ten times stronger. It was used for when we went on hunting trips so that we could find each other more easily, it could also be used for defence though. As a pack we would be able to smell an attack a lot easier when the enemy was in their wolf form. It was a great advantage when we were on the defence, but now that we were on the attack we needed to make sure we weren't easily spotted.

We stalked forward through the forest, on high alert for any form of noise that seemed out the ordinary, but as we made our way forward and we still heard nothing I started to become suspicious. Surely, we would have seen at least one wolf on patrol by now?

'Henry what do you think of the situation? Call me crazy but the lack of border patrol is putting me on edge' I mind linked one of my warriors who standing not to far from me.

He glanced over at me as for a second, acknowledging my concerns, but that was enough for me to get my answer. He wasn't liking this either.

Just as I was about break out of the treeline and take another step closer to the bunker and to the heart of the pack I felt a splitting pain erupted in my brain, like someone was trying to forcibly rip something from there.

I staggered backwards at the pain as my legs started to give out, what the hell was going on? I forced my lips to remain sealed so as not to give our position away, but if anything that just made the pain worse.

'Alpha are you okay?' Henry asked as he ran over to me in concern, thoughts of stealth going out the window as he ran the short distance towards me through the treeline.

'I don't...' I tried to respond but couldn't as I felt the pack link started to shatter.

All of a sudden I had a small moment of clarity as I thought about what Annabelle had told me. Matthew had been planning to performing the breaking and mating ceremony on her.

My wolf was on full alert now, the pain being pushed to the back of my mind, as I jumped into gear. We would not let some little Alpha pup steal what was rightfully ours.

I let out a ferocious roar, intending it to reach each and every person who was in this territory. Not only did I want to let the other Alphas know that I was going in for the kill, I wanted Matthew to know that I was coming for him.

I shifted into my wolf form in a flash as I began running towards the bunker where Annabelle has said she was being held. It was as if I had tunnel vision, my mind becoming solely focused on the slightly raised bit on land in front of me, the door to the bunker hidden in the shadows as the grass grew over the archway.

I suddenly stumbled in my advance on the bunker, along with everyone else in my pack, as I heard Annabelle's cry for help though the bond. I was frozen for a second as I marvelled at the sheer strength it would have taken her and her wolf to project a message through the pack link, especially when she hadn't been fully integrated into it yet.