[29] - Horizon Medical

alex | cooper

She pushes her glasses up with one hand while carrying a basket of various items in the other. Alex is unsure of what's going to come out of today but all she can think about is seeing Stranger for the first time. Yet, the anxiety coming from this makes her question if it's too late to turn back.

After walking down a few hallways and stopping to ask for directions, her feet come to a halt in front of room 228. Through the large rectangular window is a sickly white man lying still atop a hospital bed. Next to it on the hard grey bench is a guy with dark brown hair that seems more than tired due to his slightly hunched figure.

That must be him. Stranger...

Do I really want to do this?

Maybe Cooper was wrong. Maybe instead of him wanting to call me, he was gonna delete my number.

I don't think I can go in.

"Excuse me."

Alex's attention turns to the person approaching her. His blue eyes look confused by her presence, unsure why some random girl would be staring inside the room he had left ten minutes prior to get coffee. But it only takes a moment for the pieces to connect.

"You must be Alex."

She attempts at a smile, shaking his hand. "And you must be Cooper."

"He's told me a lot about you."

"Really? There's not much to tell."

"That's not true."

"Did you say I was coming?"

"No. I was gonna surprise him and everything." Cooper's eyebrows furrow together, seeing her unsure expression. "You're having second thoughts, aren't you?"

"What—no. I..I'm just...I don't know. I want to but...there's nothing I'm going to be able to do to help. His father had a heart attack, it's going to be stressful for him. Seeing me isn't gonna magically make Henry any better."

"Then why'd you come?"

"Because I..."

"I didn't mean to pressure you or anything like that."

"No—No, I know. Things have been very...complicated recently for me and I'm trying to find a way to uh—cope."

"Oh, is everything ok?"

Alex begins thinking of a lie. She barely knows him. There's no reason to tell a complete Stranger why she's there and why she can't stay. He'd only tell Stranger which is what she's trying to avoid.

"Can you give this to him?"

Avoiding the question was the best answer she saw fit.

"Yeah, of course. What is it?"

"It's just a basket of different foods and stuff that he said he's liked, sandwiches I've made myself, and this hat. It's kind of an inside joke thing."

She pauses.

"Do you think he'll like it?"

"If he doesn't, I'm gonna eat it all myself."

"Thank you for understanding."

"Just...keep in contact, alright? Don't give up on him."

"He didn't give up on me. I wouldn't dream of it."

"See you around, Alex."

"Goodbye Cooper."

*
What does Alex not want to tell Cooper that could possibly tip off Stranger?

Does this have anything to do with the letter she tossed in the previous chapter?

What's really going on?

Please don't forget to:

comment
vote
share
add to reading list

Until next time

❤️