4. Small World

Serena

I look great.

I don't mean that in a conceded or stuck-up way, but the days that I actually have to make an effort, I pull out all the stops and most times, it ends up pretty good.

Tonight, I was off to an engagement party.

One of my customers, Tiffany Richardson, was throwing a party. She had only been engaged for about a week, before she came into my store, searching for a dress. I found that hilarious.

Apparently she didn't live in the country, she originally from Australia, although she didn't have much of an accent. Tiff spent nearly the entire day in my store, sometimes trying on dresses, the other time talking to me.

She was such a delight to spend time with, we became quick friends. When she asked if I'd come to her engagement party, that she was having here, I was surprised. I've had a couple of invites to weddings, but not to anything before that. It was quite sweet.

I thought that she had only said it in passing, but she really did meant it. She texted me a few times to remind me. To be honest, she was a bit of a crackhead, but incredibly nice. Although, her energy level wasn't exactly something I could keep up with.

Picking up my favourite bottle of perfume, I gave myself a few spritz of it as a final touch. This was the expensive kind that I only really used for special occasions. It was too good to use up.

Just when I put the bottle down, I heard my phone vibrate on the vanity and I smiled.

I picked up the phone and answered the FaceTime call, but before I could say anything, a wolf whistle interrupted me.

"You look amazing," Will said, staring at me through the screen.

I grinned, feeling quite smug. "I do, don't I?"

For tonight, I wore a long, navy coloured gown. It showed off some cleavage, but more skin at the back, with thin straps at my shoulders. There was a bit of a tulle, but not too much. I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard, but also that I made an effort.

I think I managed to pull it off.

"Definitely," Will nodded, before looking at me with a pout. "Is this punishment because I'm not there?"

Innocently smiling at the camera, I gently shook my head. "Of course not. That's just too cruel," I said, taking a seat on the bed.

"Tease," he replied.

I laughed at his words and the expression on his face.

"When are you back? I miss my free drinks. It's not the same if you're not serving," I asked Will.

One of the perks of being engaged to the man that owned a cafe, was that I could get whatever I wanted free of charge. Although, I did still put a little something in the jar for his business' sake, not always, but most of the time.

"Oh, is that that only reason?" Will question, raising his brow at him.

"Yes," I replied instantly, before tilting my head to the side a little. "Why? Did you think there was something else?"

I was definitely lying. I missed him and his presence. But I couldn't just tell him that...I mean I could, but it was more fun to tease.

"Aren't you sweet," Will playfully narrowed his eyes at me, although I could see the smile fighting its' way on his lips, before he just just gave up and let his grace his face. "I'll be back soon, babe."

"How's your Dad?" I asked Will, remembering the reason why he was away.

A week ago, Will's Dad tried to fix something on the roof, only to fall and hurt himself quite badly. A broken leg and a fractured arm, yet he still insisted he was okay and even tried to get back to the work.