Chapter XXIII

Shannon Malone and her friends visited Tuly Lewis in the infirmary Friday after school. She looked a thousand times better than she had a day before, and not just because she was conscious. She even seemed happy to see them, even if she immediately got into an argument with Allison about something Shannon was glad to tune out.

"So how're you feeling, anyway?" Jared asked.

"Okay, I guess," Tuly said. "My teeth don't feel any pointier, so I guess I'm not a vampire after all."

"Of course not," Allison said. "I didn't go to all the trouble of saving you just for you to turn into a vampire."

"You didn't even do anything," Tuly said. "You probably voted to leave me down there."

"If I knew you were gonna be like this, I would have."

"Glad everything's back to normal, then," Caleb said under his breath, looking up at the ceiling. Neither Tuly nor Allison seemed to hear him, but Shannon snickered.

"Aw, someone sent you flowers," Ginger said, overly loud. She went over and picked up the card. "'You are never alone.' Huh."

"That's...really creepy," Jared said. "Who sent those?"

Tuly shrugged. "I've been unconscious for like two days, remember? It was probably just one of my friends. I think it's sweet."

"I think it's terrifying, but I guess that's up to you," Jared said. Tuly stuck her tongue out at him.

"Do you remember anything from yesterday?" Ollie asked. Her ankle had healed completely, but Shannon supposed that was a perk of going to an infirmary in the middle of the magic school. She'd met with Headmistress Lea earlier in the day but she'd been evasive in giving any details on how it had gone.

"Not really," Tuly said. "I sort of remember walking...somewhere, but I don't remember where I went or anything. I don't know."

"Maybe it's better that way," Caleb said.

"Yeah," Tuly said quietly. "Hey, listen, if you tell anyone I said this, I'll kill all of you, but, um...thanks."

Allison's eyes nearly bugged out of her head. "Thanks? Tuly, I don't think you've ever thanked anyone ever in your life."

"I'll take it back," Tuly threatened, but it was weak.

"Oh, you're dramatic," Allison said with a wave of her hand.

"Don't mention it, Tuly," Dexter said.

"Just don't get almost turned into a vampire again, okay?" Ollie said.

"That's okay by me," Tuly said.

The conversation drifted from topic to topic. Tuly was still very much Tuly, but Shannon thought she seemed a bit tamer, a bit less combative. Shannon wasn't sure if it was nice or disturbing.

Eventually a whole horde of Tuly's friends flocked to her bedside, and Shannon and her friends politely excused themselves. None of them had anywhere to be; the end of the year fireworks were that night and most Clearwater students didn't bother going home. They'd just be coming back anyway.

"Hey, can I show you guys something?" Ollie asked as they made their way to the entry hall. She'd seemed preoccupied all day, and Shannon wasn't sure it was all to do with the discussion she'd had with Headmistress Lea.