Chapter 21: The Sorting

Published: 30th July
_________________________

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!"

Harry turned around to the see the familiar face of Rubeus Hagrid. Harry had been down to his hut multiple times along with Minerva. Harry liked his company, but not his rock cakes unfortunately. Hagrid was the next best option if Harry needed some advice, or support. It was also he who took Harry down to Diagon Alley to buy his school supplies and owl when Minerva was sick.

"Alrigh' there Harry?" he called out. Once all the first years had been gathered, Hagrid led them down a narrow path until it opened to the edge of a great lake, in which multiple boats sat.

"Four'n a boat only!" Hagrid called out to the first years who had started sitting in them. Ron groaned as he saw Hermione join them along with Neville. Once everybody got in a boat, Hagrid got onto his own boat.

"Everyone in?" he shouted out to the group, who had silently nodded. "Alrigh'. FORWARD!"

And all together, the boats left the side of the path and glistened down the lake. Everyone was silent, occasionally someone coughing or sneezing. Everyone was staring at the great, big castle. No one had seen such a humongous castle anywhere in all of England.

Once the boats had stopped at an underground harbour, they followed Hagrid up a pathway which led them to the gates of Hogwarts.

"Everyone 'ere? Great," he said and knocked thrice on the door. A few moments later, it was swung open by Minerva, who was delighted to see Harry.

Minerva was glad that Harry was safe. Not that she didn't trust the Hogwarts Express or Hagrid, she knew what shenanigans Harry could get up to. They made eye contact for a couple of seconds until Hagrid spoke.

"The firs' years, Minerva." he said and left them at the gate. Minerva led them all inside. She led them into a small chamber off the hall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she said. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you will take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding wizards and witches. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

Minerva's gaze swept across the bunch of first years. "The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." she said and left the chamber.

As she left, three boys approached Harry.

"My name is Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Are you really Harry Potter?" he said with a sneer. Harry nodded, he did not like the look of him already. He looked over to the two other boys standing beside him like bodyguards. They were both the meanest and thickest looking boys Harry had ever seen.

"This is Crabbe, and this is Goyle," he said, pointing to the two boys. Harry couldn't help but find them resembling two pigs. Ron coughed behind them, but his sniggering was not hidden well enough. Draco turned around.

"I don't need to ask for your name. You're a Weasley. My father's told me all about your family. Red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford." Malfoy said with a smirk. Ron went red.