Chapter 22: Classes

Published: 22nd August 2019

"Oh no!"

Harry and Ron raced through the multiple corridors, their bags flopping around on their backs. They had Transfiguration first period, and they were already running late. With Harry's guide, they skidded through the doorway and into the class.

"Thank god Professor McGonagall isn't here. Imagine what her face would look like if she saw we were late," Ron panted.

Harry nodded, out of breath. He looked up at the desk, where a cat was sitting. A cat with spectacle markings around it's eyes. Harry knew this cat from before. He always found it lurking around the house, whether under the couch or on her chair.

Harry was about to sit down, when the cat turned into Professor McGonagall. Harry nearly fell down from surprise.

"You're late, you two," she said sternly. They mumbled an apology and took their seats.

"Blimey, Harry. You could have warned me beforehand," Ron muttered.

The truth was, Harry never knew that the cat was her. He always thought it was another students cat. He remembered how he used to chase it around when he was around four or five...

Minerva started her lesson.

"Transfiguration is a very serious work of magic....." 

As well as Transfiguration, the duo had Herbology. Pomona Sprout was a great friend of Minerva and liked Harry a lot. While Herbology was interesting, Harry and Ron hated Potions, especially Professor Snape after the first lesson.

Harry and Ron were sitting near steaming cauldrons along with the rest of the class, engaged in chatter. The chatter is interrupted by the door banging shut. Professor Snape rushes in as the students take their places and goes towards his desk. He looks over his class and begins.

" There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few {looks at Draco, who smiles}, who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." 

He looks over his class again. His eyes stop at Harry, who is too busy writing in his book to notice. Severus looked like he would murder, but kept his calm. How much Harry looked like his arrogant father. He feels like he is too confident for potions. Despite being with Harry for a long time, his animosity towards his insufferable father overtakes him. It would be great to mock him, just this once.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention."

Hermione, who was sitting next to him, nudged Harry, who looked up.

Oh shit.

"Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?He hissed at him.

Harry was confused. How was he expected to know this? Sure he had lived in the castle, but he didn't memorize all the textbooks. Hermione's hand narrowly misses him as it skyrockets up. Harry shrugged.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

Harry remembered Minerva always telling him, "If you ever drink a poisonous potion, you can find a bezoar in..."

"Your storage cupboard, sir," Harry responded. The entire class burst into laughter, except for Hermione, who rolled her eyes, and Professor Snape, who looked furious.

"20 points from Gryffindor for your insolence, Mr. Potter, and Put. Your. Hand. Down, Ms. Granger" Snape snapped. Hermione looked defeated, but put her hand down nonetheless.

"For your information, powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood creates a sleeping draught so strong it is called the Draught of Living Death. And a bezoar is found in a goat's stomach, not in my storage cupboard, Mr. Potter." He sneered.

Harry clenched his fist. What was his problem? He went to a cauldron with Ron and started brewing a potion from the board.

*Page Break*

Harry collapsed into his seat in the Great Hall. The week had been quite tiring for him, even if he was just a first year. He had Charms, Astronomy and Defence Against the Dark Arts, which was honestly a joke.

He started with his breakfast until a flock of owls came swooping into the Great Hall.

Neville Longbottom was sent a package with the items he had forgotten, and Draco Malfoy was sent a haul of sweets. 

Harry continued eating, since he wasn't expecting anything. That was until, Hedwig came onto the table, with a letter addressed to 'Harry Potter' on her leg. Harry untied the letter and read it.

Hey Harry,

I know you get Fridays off, so can you come over at 3 to have tea with me. I have also invited Minerva. Send your response with Hedwig. I want to hear all about your first week as well as Minerva.

Hagrid.

Harry took a quill and scribbled his response. He looked up at Minerva and she gave him a smile, before returning to her conversation with Pomona.