Chapter 2

Laxman sat in the Puspak Vimana. Ayodhya was fast approaching. He looked at his bhaiyya and bhabi who looked eager and happy to see their family after fourteen long years. But his heart was in deep turmoil. Though at one hand he was excited to see his family but on the other hand his conscience pricked him as he thought about his wife Urmila. How was he supposed to face her. He remembered their last meeting.

" Sumitranandan don't move forward. Stand where you are," pleaded Urmila as she saw her husband dressed in cloths suited for Vanvas.

" Urmila.." Lakshman tried to move forward but Urmila moved backwards stopping him.

" Sumitranandan I have made my heart into stone and have accepted this separation of fourteen years. In the last few hours I had struggled a lot to make my heart agree to the fact that Ram jethji and Sita didi needs you and this palace needs me. Now if you touch me, my resolve will be broken, I wont be in a position to let you go. So do me a favour. From this moment Urmila is not your responsibility, your duty is towards your brother and bhabi."

Before Lakshman could reply he heard his mother's call and he knew it was time to leave. As Urmila took his aarti he saw in her eyes pride and a pain she was finding difficult to hide.

He had not looked back that day. He knew if he had turned, he wouldn't have been able to move forward. He would have been stopped by Urmila's love. Now sitting in the vimana he thought about his decision. Yes what he did was the duty, but he had a duty towards his wife also. When King Janak gave the hand of his younger daughter in his hand he would have expected he will keep her happy. He will perform all the duties of a husband. While Ram bhaiyya crossed the ocean for Sita bhabi to fulfill the vow of being her husband what has he done as a husband. Except leaving his wife alone in the palace to deal with the problems there. He knew Urmila had accepted his decision wholeheartedly but then was what he did to her fair.

His thoughts were interrupted by the loud noises and he realized they had reached Ayodhya. He looked around and saw the whole city was well lit. Even from distance the lights of palace could be seen. As they stepped out people started garlanding them and paved flowers in their paths. The chants of Jai Shri Ram reverbated in the atmosphere as they proceeded towards palace.

As the grand entrance of the palace loomed in front of him Laxman wanted time to stop. He didn't want to take one step forward. But then there was no option. He had to move forward. He inched forward slowly walking behind Ram bhaiyya and Sita bhabi.

However once they reached the top step Mata Kausalya ordered them to stand in a line so that their aarti can be taken. First all the three mothers took their aarti and they touched their feet and took blessings.

Once arti was done Bharat and Shatrughna stepped forward and the brothers hugged each other, while Sita hugged her sisters.

The happy party moved inside and Kausalya asked all of them to freshen up and come for dinner. That day a big feast was arranged in the palace especially for them. Ram nodded politely and moved towards his room with Sita.

Urmila looked at her husband. From the time they had stepped in palace her eyes were trying to meet his. But her husband was not looking at her. Now she waited eagerly for him to accompany her. But he saw him requesting one servant that he would prefer to go to his personal room which was at the other end of the palace.

Sumitra stepped forward and asked her son to follow Urmila. But Laxman politely told his mother he wanted some time alone and hence would prefer his personal room. His mother nodded as the servant led him to the other side of the palace.

Sumitra turned to Urmila, " Urmila maybe Laxman feels guilty of leaving you here. You should not worry about it. Just make sure that you make him feel you don't have any bad feelings about his decision. See I have made his favourite dishes for the dinner. When he comes you serve them. Also have a smile on your face. In couple of days everything will be fine."

Urmila smiled at her mother in laws assurance. She knew her mother in law was a wise woman and always handled situations with a smile. To a great extent Urmila had tried to imbibe those qualities in her also. She went to see the dinner preparations. Once in kitchen Urmila forgot everything about the happenings and ran around giving instructions to arrange the dishes for the feast. Whatever little pain was remaining that too vanished when she heard Sita didi's voice calling out to her.

" My little sister has grown up so much. Handling a feast all alone, let me know what I can do to help you" smiled Sita.

"Didi I don't want you to do anything today. For fourteen years you were eating berries and masala less food. But tonight it is royal feast. Have it to your fullest and let me know how the arrangement is. "

Soon Mandavi and Kirti joined them and the sisters engaged themselves in light banter as the servants arranged dishes and they saw the four princes coming. The mothers asked them to move to dining hall for the feast as along with princes, there would be ministers, guru Vashisth and other prominent personalities of Ayodhya were invited.

The sisters nodded and as they walked once again the trio of Sita, Mandavi and Kirti started teasing Urmila on Laxman.