Chapter Two - The Fury

It had been hours since he'd escaped from his house and his father, but still there was nothing. He had his leather bound notebook open in one hand and a charcoal pencil in his left. He'd drawn a map of Raven Point and crossed off the places he had been, and it seemed that most of the map was covered in crosses. In frustration he scribbled over the map and slammed the book shut, stuffing it and the pencil into an inside pocket of his jacket. 
    'Oh, the Gods hate me,' he muttered, and slapped a tree branch out of the way, which promptly slapped him back. 'Argh!' He looked at tree and saw that the branch he'd slapped was part of a larger one and that that whole branch, and even part of the trunk, was ripped down as if hit from above.  'What the...? This must be it!' Quickly he scrambled down the slope, dislodging pebbles and loose earth as he went. He peered over a ridge and immediately ducked down again, his heart racing. 
    The dragon was there. 
    Swallowing his fear, Hiccup looked back over the ridge. It was on its side, not moving and had its eyes closed. Was it dead? He wondered. With renewed courage he slipped over the ridge and down, taking out his dagger as he did so. It sure looked dead, if it's lack of breathing was anything to go by. 
    'Oh wow, I did it! I have brought down this mighty beast!' He placed his foot on the dragon's foreleg like he was some hero in a painting, but then the creature growled and he stumbled back in shock. It was very much alive. It's black scales gleamed and its eyes, green like Hiccup's own, stared him down.
    Hiccup shakily aimed the dagger at it, his breath coming in gasps. 'I am going to cut out your heart, dragon,' he informed it. 'And take it back to my father. You hear me? I'm a VIKING!' He raised the blade above his head, ready to strike down on the scaled hide, but then he opened his eyes and he caught the dragons gaze. It stared, as if pleading with him, its pupils terrified slits. And in them he saw his reflection, yet it was not only his, there seemed to be another Night Fury flickering over his own image. He raised the knife higher and shut his eyes against the strange reflection, and he heard the dragon groan and its head thump to the earth, defeated. 
    The constant tingling in his back and shoulders flared, making him gasp and drop the dagger, falling to his knees. After a few moments it subsided and he looked up at the ropes ensnaring the creature. 'I did this,' he breathed, seeing the Night Fury differently. Not as the mindless killer, but as a trapped and scared, intelligent being. He shook his head and turned to go, but something stopped him. He couldn't leave it here, trapped and scared, like he himself felt. 
    He set his mind and turned back, took his dagger and began sawing through the ropes. They loosened and the black, catlike dragon sprang around, pinning him down by his throat. It glared deep into his eyes and he couldn't help but stare back, seeing his flickering reflection again. Then it roared, earslpittingly loud, right in his face so he got spattered by saliva. 
    Then it sat back on its tail, watching him curiously. 
    'What?' Hiccup couldn't help asking. What're you doing? It's a dragon, it can't understand you!
    The dragon ran a paw over its face, as if wiping something away. 
    Hiccup involuntarily did the same and his hand came away sticky with dragon spit. 'Ew.' 
    The dragon laughed. 
    'What're you laughing at?' He couldn't believe he was talking to a dragon! And it laughed!
    Hiccup picked up his dagger to return it to his belt. The Night Fury's eyes turned wild and it turned and dove away like a shadow vanishing into shadows. He blinked and stood up, wondering what to do, then decided to follow it. 
    He found it in a glade not to far away. From above he watched it trying to fly, but it only ever got to a certain height before falling back to the ground. He took out his notebook and made a sketch of it, rubbing out the second tail fin he drew when he noticed it didn't have one. 'Is that why you can't fly?' He muttered. The dragon gave up trying to fly and instead stalked to the lake, watching the fish and occasionally lunging to catch one. The fish were to quick for it, though, and all it got was a few scales. 
    Hiccup had forgotten he was holding a pencil and only remembered when he dropped it. The stick and charcoal rolled over the edge of the glade and landed in some bushes, alerting the Fury to his presence. Again they shared a stare, this time one of curiosity, before the dragon turned and bounded away to the other side of the lake. 
    Hiccup watched the dragon then looked down at his sketch. He knew what he was going to do, and he would do it tonight.

876 words, o.O

As always, comments are welcome :D

≈Flitt