Chapter Four - Shiftability

After hours of learning to fly, Hiccup finally exhausted himself and fell asleep beside Toothless on the seastack. The dawn light woke them a little while later, spreading its orange warmth over their scales. As it brightened and seeped into Hiccup's midnight hide, he began to change. Slowly at first, scales melted away and ears, tail and wings shrinking. Then with a shimmer he was back to a boy, and this time the tingling wasn't painful. He woke properly and looked at his hands, wondering if it had all been a dream. 'Toothless?'
   The dragon snorted awake and gave him a questioning look. 
   'Did I really turn into a dragon last night?'
   'Yes,' Toothless said. Or Hiccup thought it was a yes. He could only understand a little of the growl, human hearing must not be able to pick up all of sounds a dragon made. 
   He looked down at his hands again, now wondering if he could Shift back to a dragon. He tried reaching for the tingling feeling, because surely it was that that had made him change. He found the source in his spine and shoulders, like a thread of energy running through him. He somehow tapped into it and thought of being a Fury, then, with a wave of the tingle, he was. 
   He laughed happily and turned himself back to a boy, then a Night Fury, then a boy again. 
   'Having fun, are we?' Toothless said, a smile playing on his lips. 
   'Haha, yes! This is brilliant!' Hiccup said, yet again turning himself from dragon to human. 
   'Well, I hate to ruin your fun, but have you noticed how light it is? Your people are going to be wondering where you are.'
   Hiccup stayed as a dragon so he could speak in Dragontongue, as he'd heard Toothless call it. 'They won't even notice I'm gone, they never do.' He sighed. 'But I suppose your right, I should get back to the village.' He Shifted to a boy and mounted Toothless. They flew back to the glade, which he'd renamed the cove because of the oval lake and the sandy earth around it. He said goodbye to Toothless and hurried back to his village, which was slowly stirring to life. He quietly opened the door to his house and saw his father beside the fire, his back to his son. Silently Hiccup shut the door and crept to the stairs, hoping Stoick wouldn't hear him and ask where he'd been. 
   'Hiccup.'
   Ah, crap. 
   Reluctantly Hiccup stood at the foot of the stairs, looking up at his father. 
   Stoick got straight to the point. 'Dragon training. You start in a couple of hours.'
   Oh Gods, how was he going to get out of this one? He'd been badgering his father for ages to let him do dragon training, but now that he himself was part dragon? No thanks. 'Uhhh, well, you know, we have a lot of dragon fighting Vikings, but do we have any... er... Bread making Vikings? Or...'
    'You will need this,' he dumped an axe into Hiccup's arms, not listening to a word his son said. Hiccup immediately dropped the axe and his father gave it to him again. 
   'I don't wanna fight dragons, dad.'
   'Yes you do,' Stoick laughed. 
   'Uh, no, I don't.'
   The Chief looked his son in the eye. 'This is serious, son. When you carry this axe, you carry all of us. Which means you walk like us, talk like us and think like us. No more of... This.'
   'You just gestured to all of me,' Hiccup said, lowering the axe. 
   'Do we have a deal?'
   'This conversation is feeling very one sided—'
   'Deal?!' Stoick almost roared.
   Hiccup sighed. 'Deal...'
   How in the world would he get out of this mess?

631 words O.O quite short.

≈Flitt