Chapter 7: Neighbors

"Which do you mean?" and turning round, he looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till catching her eye, he withdrew his own and coldly said, "She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me."

Mr. Blingly follo––

"Cass, Grace and Gabby are here to see you."

Mom's yell snaps me out of my Pride and Prejudice induced daze.

I don't go out of my way to read books, and I much prefer my phone over a book, but when I'm required to read one, I find myself getting lost in it.

The outside world vanishes, and I can visually see all the events occurring in the book.

It's a wonderful feeling, but I'm not looking to experience it all the time or become a person who lacks social skills because they're always reading, so I don't read very often.

"Coming, Mom," I yell back.

I was sprawled against the floor while I was reading, but now I mark my page in the book and sit up just as Gracie and Gabs walk through my open door.

I look up at them from the floor and grin. "Hey, guys."

"Hey," Gabs says slowly. "Why are you on the floor?"

"Reading," I say simply as I stand up and walk over to my desk so I can put the book on it.

"Why are you guys here? It's six o'clock."

During Ms. Kelsey's class, she passed out copies of the book and instructed us to start reading.

I, while proceeding to ignore Aaron, didn't start to read because I couldn't focus with him sitting beside me.

I honestly tried to lose myself in the book, but I could feel Aaron inhaling and exhaling, and I instead found myself counting how many breaths he took until class was over.

Pathetic, I know.

What's even worse is that I was disappointed that he wasn't at least trying to talk to me. I mean, I couldn't have scared him off that easily.

Could I?

Anyways, I started to read almost as soon as I came home because neither one of my parents were home and I got super bored.

I get bored super easily, if you couldn't tell.

Unfortunately, I got a little side-tracked by my phone, so I'm only on, like, chapter two of the book, even though I've been home for around three hours.

"It's Friday, remember? Movie-night-slash-sleepover day?"

Oh, yeah. We do those every Friday, unless an emergency comes up and one of us can't make it.

"I love those. It's kind of weird having it after only two days of school, you know? I mean, why would you start school on a Thursday, out of all the days? Not that anything's wrong with the other ones, it's just that why would they only make us have two days of school and then a three day weekend. It's ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just wondering why they would do that. It's just that I don't understand why these district people, who are so for education and stuff, would only give us two days of school, and then not give us school the following Monday. I'm fine with it, as I'm sure many others are, but still, it's a little weird. Oh, and speaking of weird, I saw the cutest little mix of dog breeds. Not that it looked weird, but it was so cute. It was a golden retriever and husky mix, and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen and-"