Chapter 10: Race

I jog down the stairs and run smack into my dad, who has his eyebrows raised.

"Going somewhere?"

"Dad," I sigh. "You ask me that every year."

And? his face screams.

I fight against the urge to roll my eyes and sigh instead. "I'm going to that theme park with Gabs and Gracie. Like I do every year."

After I changed, I came back out from the bathroom to find Aaron gone; I'm assuming he went back to his own house because if he stayed in my room—or he's still in there—that's a little creepy.

"Ah." He nods his head. "And you're not going to be hanging around boys, right?"

"I mean, I guess not."

He shrugs and steps aside. "Carry on."

I snort. "You're so ridiculous."

He lets out a booming laugh as he climbs up the stairs. "Remember you have school tomorrow!" His footsteps sound above me before they stop, and I'm guessing that he's in his and Mom's room.

I walk out my front door and close it behind me, closing it, before jogging down the porch steps.

"Cassie!"

I sigh and turn my head to my right to see Aaron running down his front steps.

I walk down my walkway, stopping at the end of it, and turn towards Aaron, who has made his way over to stand in front of me.

"Yes?" I say with my eyebrows raised.

"Where are you going?"

"Somewhere."

"Yeah, I figured," he says. "Does it have a name?"

"Yeah."

He stares at me and I stare back.

"Are you going to tell me?"

"Well you never asked," I say defensively.

He rolls his eyes.

"I'm going to a theme park with Gracie and Gabs."

"What?"

"A theme park," I say slowly. "You do know what those are, right?"

Another eye roll.

I think I get why he likes to annoy me; it's actually kind of hilarious.

"Yes, Cassie, I know what a theme park is. I meant which one."

I shrug. "I don't know. A theme park is a theme park."

"Can I come with you?"

"No," I respond automatically, and then I do a double take. "What? No."

He pouts. "Come on, Cassie. Cole and Adrian and I were looking for something to do, just let us come with you."

I tear my eyes off his pouted lips and focus on his green orbs. "Nope."

His pout deepens or gets bigger or whatever. God, I can't think when he does that.

"Please? Pretty please?"

I close my eyes to avoid looking at his lips and I feel him take a step closer to me. I can feel the warmth oozing off of his body and his breath hitting my face.

"Please, Cassie?" he whispers.

My resolve crumbles. Damn him. "Fine," I mutter under my breath.