CALLIOPE NISÍ

~•~

~•~

Cally is awoken by something skittering over her hand. Startled, she jerks her hand back and sits up. Her eyes open just in time to see a little sand crab scurrying back into its hole. Her eyebrows furrow. Her gaze quickly glances around, her eyes darting back and forth over the unfamiliar surroundings.

She lays on a white, sandy beach, the waves rolling onto the shore before her. Fallen palm trees and drift wood surround the area behind her, and a jungle-like forest behind that. The sun beats heavily down upon her skin and she shields her eyes from its blinding rays.

Sun... Sun!

Last night's events come flooding back to her.

She lay passed out on the beach for the entire storm? No wonder she is covered from head to toe in sand. Suddenly, a giddy feeling bubbles in her chest. A smile pulls at her dry, cracked lips and a lazy laugh escapes her scratchy throat.

"I'm finally free," she whispers to herself.

No cave.

No cold nights.

No musty smell.

"I'm finally free!" She repeats, this time louder.

Cally flops down on her back, her arms and legs sprawled out, soaking in the sun. She may still have no idea where she is, but anything is better than that blasted cave.

After many minutes spent laying in the sand, Cally decides to explore. She pulls herself into a sitting position, her sore body aching in some areas, especially the raw areas where the sand gave her burns.

She hobbles to the water. Cally bends down, mindful of her ribs, and splashes water onto herself, removing the sand from her skin. Her ribs still ache painfully, but at least her hip and shoulder joints are no longer swollen and purple.

She happily hums to herself as she continues washing, a lazy smile on her lips. She has found it quite difficult to be happy lately, which is why she finds it so easy to smile now. She is learning to find happiness in the little things.

Her thoughts drift back to the previous night. She can't seem to comprehend the creature's actions. He kidnapped her, only to heal her and then save her life? She can't help but think: is he really a monster?

Maybe she was wrong about him? Maybe he isn't some murderous monster? But then again, why would he attack her in the first place? Cally comes to a conclusion that is rather unfortunate. The only way she will get answers, is if she were to ask the creature himself.

~•~

The island is small, Cally discovers. It is only about two or three acres in size and is circular in shape. Most of the island is just long flats of sand, but the very center has a few palms and some exotic looking bushes. Too bad all of the plants are too pokey and sharp to use as bedding or suitable shelter. They should make good tinder though.