EPITÉLOUS STO SPÍTI

The snow falls steadily outside Cally's bedroom window. The flakes swirl as they fall, accumulating on the frozen earth. They build up higher and higher, a thin layer coating the bottom of her window sill. The frozen wilderness outside makes the window pane cold to the touch as her warm palm rests against the glass.

She sniffles, though not from the cold, but instead from the tears that fall from her eyes and the tightness of her throat. Five months. Five months exactly since she saw Atlas for the last time. Five months of questions. Five months of pitiful looks. Five months of mourning.

It was hell, and Cally barely had the strength to continue. Every day she saw him, whether it was a pair of dark eyes she saw in passing, a flash of pale skin, or even just a tall frame with broad shoulders. Cally looked for him everywhere even though she knew she would never find him.

She opens her palm slowly, revealing the pearl he gifted to her. A splash of water lands on her open palm beside it, a tear that dripped from her nose. Cally wondered where he was, what he was doing, if he was thinking about her.

Had he moved on, or did he still grieve like she did?

A part of her wanted him to miss her, but at the same time she wouldn't wish this pain on anyone. The pain of knowing their love was lost forever, their passion separated by the sea itself.

She had once been a captive, yes, and though she was free now, a piece of herself was still held captive beneath those cerulean waves. A part of her soul would forever be attached to that of the man she loved with her entire being, and just the same a part of him was attached to her.

They had both left their mark on the other, each of them giving away a part of themselves that neither would ever get back. That's Love's way, you see. What is given is gone forever and no matter how you search to fill the gap, nothing will ever fit but the one who has the missing piece.

That was Cally's problem. She had happily given her entire soul to the dark eyed boy. A part of her heart was left with him that she would never get back. She was satisfied with this though, in that it kept the two forever tied. She would always be with him just as he would always be with her.

Cally guides the pearl to her lips, pressing a soft kiss to the little orb. Just then, a knock sounded at her door.

"Come in," she says, her voice hoarse.

The door opens to reveal one of the only faces that has been able to bring her joy these past months. "Hey, Ethan."

The little boy enters slowly, two steaming mugs of hot coco held in his small hands. Cally instantly rises to assist him. She takes her own mug and gestures for him to sit beside her in the window seat.

He smiles nervously at her, his little brows furrowing as he sees the evidence of her crying.

"Are you okay?" He whispers, as though someone might overhear.

"I'm alright," she says through a forced smile.

"You don't have to be scared anymore," he says. "Momma says I'm big and strong now. I can protect you."

Cally laughs softly, reaching over to fluff his blonde curls. The boy giggles and nearly spills his coco as he scrambles away.

It is silent after that, the two just watching the snow fall. The only sound is their own breathing and Ethan's slurps as he amateurly sips on his drink. Cally clutches the pearl tighter.

"Why are you still afraid?" Ethan suddenly asks. "You are home with us. You are safe now."

He was right. She was home and she was safe. But that wasn't what she feared.

No one really understood why Cally wept so much after her rescue. No doctors could figure out why she refused to speak of what happened to her. None truly understood her sadness and why she was so heartbroken. Atlas was hers to remember and the secret of his identity was one she would go to the grave with.

Or maybe... maybe she didn't have to. Maybe she could share his legacy. Maybe she coul share it with someone worthy enough to hear his testimony. Perhaps someone else knowing of their love was exactly what was needed.  Perhaps their tale must be told.

"Ethan?" The child looks up at his sister. "I'm going to tell you a story," she says. "A story about a boy named Atlas."