Chapter 48

Ban'Koliath's body flew through the heavy double doors that lead back to Justiciar Law. He rolled through the mess of cubes and came to a stop at the sad remains of his desk. He spat out a mouthful of crimson and wearily hauled himself to his feet. The goliath frame of Dakon followed him out at the lazy pace of a stalking predator waiting for its meal to expire.

"I expected better from a Partner. Your reputations are so highly regarded amongst us office peons." The minotaur said, his tone just shy of taunting. It was not his normal recourse in battle to goad his enemy. Battle was scared to his people, and even more so to himself. It was a constant test against the battle lust of the minotaur, the arrogance so prevalent in his people, and his own skill. He treated every foe with respect. When Ban'Koliath, or any minotaur, resorted to battle banter it was a sign of fear.

Dakon responded to the taunt by pouncing. His supernatural speed gave Ban'Koliath no time to dodge. The man-mountain's enormous arms closed around the minotaur and tackled him to the floor. Punches, kicks, hammer blows, and headbutts were exchanged as the two rolled across the office space. With supreme effort Ban'Koliath threw off the armor-clad bastard and scrambled to his feet.

Dakon rolled into the remains of a desk and pulverized it. "You are beginning to grow irksome," His voice was still as deep and calm as it ever was as he got to his feet.

"Good," Ban'Koliath spat out another mouthful of blood. Several of his ribs were broken, one of his hooves had cracked, and his right eye was swollen shut. He was tired, and his body was telling him to close his one good eye and let unconsciousness swallow him. He shook his head in defiance, he needed to buy more time. His eye came across the dead chimera, and a desperate plan sprouted.

Growing up on the Isle of Pa'nipia, home to the minotaur race, Ban'Koliath had dealt with some of the most lethal creatures on Paragore. The chimera chief among them. The beasts are highly regulated magical creatures for a multitude of reasons. Its horn, for example, was able to pierce through almost any material which made it desirable for smiths, tailors, and a whole host of other professions. In fact, the horn was so desirable one of the ways a minotaur could earn his First Blood was by slaying one of these beasts and bringing the horn back as proof. And while it earned high honor for the calf's clan, it was not a popular choice due to the extremely low survival rate.

Dakon's next move cemented Ban'Koliath's plan. Dashing to gain speed the Partner leapt into the air. His head brushed against the ceiling at the apex of his jump. The feat made all the more impressive with the two-hundred or so pounds of armor Dakon wore. He shifted his body to aim one sabaton-clad foot at Ban'Koliath's head, coming down with meteoric force.

Ban'Koliath dodged the attack, barely, by recklessly diving for the chimera. The pain of his ribs grinding together threatened to steal his consciousness as he landed. Dakon's foot slammed through the floor, sinking him to his mid-thigh. Ban'Koliath could hear the wooden floor groaning in protest as the man sought to free his leg. He reached the fallen creature and with the grip of a titan on the horn Ban'Koliath brought his hammer to bear on the ram's skull. Once, twice, the dull thudding impact of hammer against bone filled his ears. On the third strike the horn tore free, along with a bit of skull and scalp, in his hand. The tip was still honed to a deadly point. Dakon ripped his leg free of the floor at last and spun to charge his quarry. Ban'Koliath gripped the horn in one hand and lifted his hammer in the other, hoping for a miracle.

Dakon closed the distance between them in a few bounding strides.

Ban'Koliath let out a roar of defiance and brought his horn-bearing fist up against the exposed neck joint in Dakon's armor. The impact jarred his hand, and he could feel the sharp edges of the horn digging into his calloused palm. Dakon's armor dented and then gave way to the all piercing tip of the chimera's horn. The horn sank into his neck, releasing not blood but an angry hiss of sound.