Chapter 64

It took a long pull from his flask to settle Roland's mind, and to recall the ritual for contacting the Eva'scarra.

To say the Eva'scarra were dangerous was like saying an active volcano was hot. They existed in the Nether Never; a plane, or dimension, which was all twisting shadows and mirror images. Somewhere between life and death, darkness and light. The beings of the Nether Never hoarded knowledge like dragons did treasure, and the Eva'scarra were at the top of the knowledge chain. They would occasionally share that knowledge with the outside world, but they always demanded a steep price. And the Eva'scarra rarely revealed what that cost would be until it was far too late to turn back.

Roland walked along the pathway leading out of the city, stepping off it and as soon as the sentries were out of sight. He needed to find the perfect location to begin the ritual. Seclusion was key, as what he was about to do was not strictly legal.

He stepped into a ring of trees far outside the city and began the laborious process of setting up a projection ring. The ring was a magical circle that would afford him far more protection than the sphere he'd used the first time he'd sought the Eva'scarra. He sent up a scything ring of wind with a simple hand gesture. The blade clipped and tossed leaf and limb away clearing a perfect circle in the canopy above. He was more prepared this time. He had to be. The last time, his visit to the Nether Never had almost cost him his life.

......

15 years ago

Roland had squeaked by his final course and at long last graduated from the School of Prestidigitation, Experimentation, Linguistics, and Learning. The day-long ceremony had been held at the Mage Tower of Enkate; the female half of the twin gods of magic. He'd once been the most promising of the apprentices, but after enduring the trying years he'd barely graduated. He looked haggard and drawn, as would become his usual appearance, but he didn't yet have the slump of the downtrodden in his shoulders. Today he was finally free of the academy and its taskmasters. Free of the ever-watchful professors, free to have a single moment to himself. The thought gave him his first glimpse of happiness in a long time.

The constant studying, at the behest of his demanding mentors, in combination with his strange ability to remember every spell he heard or read, had placed a lofty burden on his young mind. The constant dull headache had evolved into a throbbing migraine over this last year, and he had yet to find anything that could help him cope.

But fortunately, he had a plan. And now that he was free of scrutinizing gazes he could finally put it into action. He'd come across some information on an ancient race called the Eva'scarra who possessed immeasurable wisdom. While researching his, as Talazar described it, "mediocre" final presentation Roland was able to sneak a few texts from the library and learn more about them. He had cobbled the pieces and excerpts together until he finally figured out how to reach them, and he planned to do exactly that. Despite the cryptic warning messages he'd read.

Roland walked the streets of Raxal heading towards the outskirts of the city seeking an abandoned building. He would need complete isolation to attempt communication as far reaching as the Nether Never. The sun was well past its apex when he spotted a suitable two-story building far enough away from prying eyes. The roof was slumped and thick vines of ivy had claimed the walls, encircled the building, and were slowly pulling it apart brick by brick. A treetop was blooming out from the center of the roof, its thick trunk disappearing into the building below. No one would bother him here.

Roland roamed around the outside of the building and slipped into the alleyway behind it. He strolled up towards the back door and found it to be unlocked. After a quick glance over his shoulder confirming he was alone, he stepped inside.