Four

Faustinus crossed his arms and blocked my way. "My bride enjoys midnight strolls?"

My chest tightened, fear crushed against me like a taut leather binding. "Good evening."

"Do you often wander the vineyards at night?" Although his face was shadowed, the contempt in his voice was obvious.

"The scents and sounds help me collect my thoughts." I forced a smile. "Like those about our upcoming marriage."

"Is that so?" Faustinus rubbed his chin. "You must know these paths well. They're difficult to see without moonlight."

"I walk these vineyards so often my heart sees the paths with more clarity than my eyes."

Faustinus stepped forward, his face emerging from out of the shadows. "I find your behavior odd." He scowled. "Where are your servants to light the path?"

"I'm quite capable of walking alone." Every muscle in my body tensed. I wanted to run yet did not. How disrespectful and foolish that would be. Faustinus would think me daft.

"Did you meet your lover?"

I laughed, but the taste of his accusation was sour. "You'll be my only lover." I recalled Pricilla's advice to disarm suspicion with kindness.

Faustinus stretched his arm towards me. I took his hand and he yanked me forward. Too hard. Too close.

"We haven't been acquainted long enough for me to measure the truth of your words." His gaze dropped to my breasts. "Your father neglected to tell me how beautiful you were."

"Father finds virtue the worthier quality." My false smile quivered. Did he see my fear?

Faustinus's arm tightened around my waist. "I doubt your virtue is unsullied."

His breath was heavy, and anger clung to him like a dank mist.

"I ama virgin." Panic choked my voice, made it sound like a lie.

"I intend to discover the truth for myself." Faustinus spun me about. Crushed my body against the wood frame of the collecting vat.

My cheek pressed against the surface, the smell of resin mixing with the taste of terror in my throat.

"I'm not waiting for the wedding night." Faustinus wrapped one hand around my neck. With the other he yanked up my stola. His mouth clamped over mine and his tongue pushed in. It was my first kiss. It was violent and demanding and not at all how I imagined. I started to gag.

I tried to push away. He held tighter and forced my legs apart with his knee.

"Please, not this way." I stopped struggling. "I beg of you to wait for—" I yelped.

The pain surprised me. The violent end of my virginity choked all rationale. I felt only the burning sting of my surrender below.

He heaved against me. His nails dug into my arm. Each new stab was a vicious initiation into womanhood.

So this was sex... it was humiliating. And it hurt. Fighting back was futile. Faustinus was merely taking advantage of an ancient Roman display of dominance, one that began long ago when Romulus urged his men to kill the Sabine men and rape the Sabine virgins. Thus despoiled, the women were forced to accept the Roman abductors as husbands.

I whimpered, but this only enflamed his lust. So I clenched my teeth and discovered the meaning of hate. The kind that leaves you as cold and hard as marble.

Faustinus groaned. His body collapsed against mine. His teeth sunk into my earlobe. I felt the stain of his domination. My blood, his seed—the residue of his violence stuck to my skin.

The gods had cursed me. Cursed this marriage. Dreams of a tender wedding night melted into tears that ran down my cheeks. I stared into his cold eyes and saw my destiny. A life of humiliation and pain.

His three fingers dug into my chin and turned my head. "Now that we've dispensed with that unpleasant formality, I feel compelled to tell you that I prefer other methods."

"What—"

Faustinus struck my face. "Silence." His mouth covered mine again.

I turned my head and shoved him away. "You're hurting m—"

Faustinus pinched my nose closed. I sucked air through his mouth. Twisted and kicked. He tightened his grip. A creeping blackness narrowed my vision, my head spun...

Faustinus released me and laughed as I gulped the air. Then he wrenched my knee forward with his leg and sent me sprawling into the dirt face down.

"Shhh." He pinned me to the ground.

He straddled me, his mouth on my ear and his hand tight over my mouth. "I don't want any more children. Do you understand?"

I did.

Pricilla had once told me about this method of fornication. It was common, she said. Sometimes it was an expression of the loving friendship between two men. Other times it was the dominant asserting power over the weaker. Often, it was the master over the servant.

The next violation came without warning. The pain lanced my body. I cried out but his hand clamped over my mouth.

"There will come a time you will beg for this," he grunted.

Tears flowed down my cheeks, silent sobs that choked my breath.

"Good." Faustinus removed his hand. "You're a docile and obedient girl, however, I prefer women who cry and struggle. You'll learn soon enough the best ways to pleasure me. I'll tell your father to move up the date of our nuptials. Would you like that?"

Words stuck in my throat, fear of inciting either his lust or wrath.

Faustinus pulled my hair. "Answer me."

I swallowed, found my courage. "Your will is mine."

He squeezed my breast. "I'm glad we reached an understanding. Your father taught you well."

Except Father had spent little time preparing his children for the harsh realities of life. Pricilla was my teacher. She taught skills to be a successful equestrian—cunning flattery, clever repartee, obedience when necessary, and defiance with charm. Skills I would need to survive this marriage.

"On your knees." Faustinus pointed to the ground.

"My handmaid will be worried," I rolled over, kneeled before him. "I'm gone longer than usual." I kissed his hand and looked up into his cruel face. "She'll send servants to find me."

"You're safe with me." Faustinus yanked me to my feet.

My jaw dropped. Safe?! Did he mock me? Did he honestly believe I was safe in his presence?

"Was it painful?" His disdainful gaze roamed my body.

Yes? No? What was the right answer? And then I remembered his desire for a woman who cried and struggled.

I burst into tears.

"Good, that pleases me." Faustinus tilted his head, satisfied and smug. My misery was his delight.

I staggered away on shaking blood-streaked legs, hate propelling me forward.

"I have ten children from my first two wives," Faustinus called out. "I have no need of more."

I knew then what my fate would be.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for reading. THE EMPEROR'S  ASSASSIN comes  out October 1st but yo can  preorder the kindle version now.