3. We also same-same!

Aishwarya stood staring at her reflection in the mirror, her cousins were behind her trying to get a selfie with the so-called bride and the beautician Aunty was packing her stuff much to her relief

Aishwarya stood staring at her reflection in the mirror, her cousins were behind her trying to get a selfie with the so-called bride and the beautician Aunty was packing her stuff much to her relief. 'Only God knows how this is going to go.' She wondered warily while taking a few uneven breaths.

She was always a stronger one. Never afraid to speak for herself, and never worried about how people perceived her. She did what she wanted, always. Her I-am-all-set-to-rule-the-world adventure met its tragic halt about 3 months ago. Tucked securely between the corner edge of the life-size mirror, she pulled the small piece of a train ticket that held more memories than anything else in her life.

'This is why we sent you Ahmadabad? This is what you wanted to achieve, ha? Have you ever thought about us at all? How dare you! Love? That's what your goals were? Girls shouldn't be adamant and reclusive Aishwarya! I am not going to entertain this any further! Geeta, take away her phone, and laptop. Whoever that boy is, she will NEVER contact him henceforth. I am asking Purohit Ji to bring her a good proposal as soon as possible. Shamed us, this girl!' Venkat screamed the moment he had accidentally heard her say 'I love you', 'I miss you' over the call. He had taken over the phone, told whoever the guy was, to go to hell and slammed the device shut. After inquiring further, Aishwarya admitted to being in love, only to earn the wrath of her entire conservative family.

Once Venkat left with his blood boiling in anger, Geeta had taken over to scold, smack and cry, all at once! Aishwarya watched the entire fiasco with a dreadful look and a mind that had gone blank for the first time ever. She could never comprehend her family's obsession with considering, 'love' as a crime. She knew how far her ancestors had gone to prevent such a situation from happening in their family. She even grew up hearing stories of her great-grandmother's sister who was killed because she fell in love with a man from an adjacent village who belonged to a different caste.

By the end of that fateful day, the house was filled with a few of her aunts and uncles. The ladies decided to brainwash her and reprimand her while the men sat and discussed various plots. The next day, an entire troop of relatives came home to perform the dramatic hai-hai's and even went on to share the love stories that they managed to break apart over the years. Aishwarya hadn't attempted to speak a word at all. Even her cousins looked at her like they had witnessed Aishwarya murdering someone!

"You are marrying the boy of our choice. Purohit Ji will be soon bringing the proposals, get ready." Her parents had given the judgment in front of at least 20 relatives as witnesses.

Aishwarya took a deep breath. That was 3 months ago. Nothing had changed since thenn. She continued to be the 'obedient' daughter everyone wanted her to be locking away her career, passion and dreams.

"I just saw the groom, he is so cute! Maybe a little, nervous though." One of the cousins announced who had a peek at the living room. "You are so lucky Aishwarya!" Another one said. Aishwarya sniggered, right. 

Geeta rushed inside asking the girls to get Aishwarya out, it was time.

Just as she had reached the threshold of the living room, a tray full of glasses filled with mango juice was placed in her hand. They didn't even care when she said, that balancing the tray with heavier-than-her saree wasn't something she could pull off.

"You will be fine! You have pulled all sorts of annoying stunts over the years, this is nothing in front of that. Just walk with the tray and serve the guests seated on the last sofa." Her mother said in a tone that only meant, no negotiations.

Begrudgingly she dragged herself carefully through the living room. Under the scrutiny of her relatives (who were probably gossiping about what a shame she was), the 'groom's' family (who were probably checking if she could walk right) and her parents (who were probably praying to every God known to mankind to make sure she doesn't screw up). All their threats were still fresh in my mind. Some of them were funny too. A small giggle escaped her lips. Shockingly she looked back at her mother who was shooting daggers with her eyes.

"Aishwarya, careful sweetie," Geeta said sternly but softly. Gulping, Aishwarya nodded and went ahead. She was so scared that her family would literally chop her into pieces if she attempted to even cast a look at the groom, so she simply kept her eyes fixated towards her polished nails (But, she may have taken a very tiny-weeny glance at her prospective groom though). Beautician Aunty did a sloppy job, she concluded when she saw a few smears of nail polish on the skin.

The entire process of serving juice to guests seemed longer in her mind than in reality. By the time her mother dragged her to sit in front of her prospective 'mother-in-law' Aishwarya felt ages had passed. Unfortunately, just three freakishly long minutes had elapsed.

"She is so sweet," Roopa said squeezing Aishwarya's hands. She tried with all her might not to snicker or pass anything in sarcasm. Nodding, like the dutiful daughter they thought her to be, she gave Roopa a small smile.

Lots of questions were asked just as she expected. Her interview for the role of wife, a daughter-in-law, a cook, a gardener, a sewing expert, a child-whisperer, a cleaner, a moper, a duster etc went on a full swing. However, it was her parents who were answering. She simply sat through it like a mute girl until one of the groom's relatives quizzed, "She can talk, right?"

Geeta and Venkat looked at them horrified while Aishwarya had a smile on her face which was she hiding by sucking her lips inside her mouth. "Of course, she can! Aishwarya, answer them kanda." Geeta said sitting next to her daughter. Her arms were thrown across Aishwarya's shoulders squeezing them.

"So, how far have you studied dear?" Roopa asked again. 

"I have completed my B. Arch, I worked in a small firm here in Bangalore for about a year. Then completed Masters in Architecture from Bangalore University and did.." Aishwarya bit her lip as the memories flooded through her mind. 

"-she did an internship for about six months after post-graduation." Geeta completed it for her. Ahmadabad was neatly kept out of the conversation.

"That's so nice dear! We always believe girls should receive as much education and career opportunities as boys. We are happy to know how studious you have been so far." Roopa commented.

"We also same-same!" Roopa's sister chimed in from behind Amit. Aishwarya's parents agreed aggressively to that statement much to her disbelief.

"Um.. it's great we all are getting to know each other's family and all.. But.. don't you all think, Aishwarya & Amit have to get to know each other as well? Maybe they should have a little chat in private?" Madan spoke and the entire room fell silent as if he announced he was turning into a monk.

✺ ✺ ✺