4. Chai & Samosa

The silence that settled in the room was too scary

The silence that settled in the room was too scary. A troubled Madan reached for the juice on the table and downed its contents in a single gulp. Yet, the stillness persisted, intensified by his father's scathing glare. In fact, the death glare his father was sending in his direction, he was sure he was going to be disowned! He imagined a complex legal process where his father would disavow him as his son. He even envisioned his wife, Swati, and their two children, Priti and Niti, standing in a desolate wasteland, clad in tattered clothes, their eyes filled with resentment and helplessness.

Wait, why would they be in a drought-stricken land? They lived in the city! Focus, Madan!

"Was it too early?" Madan whispered to his wife who kept looking away not wanting to make eye contact with her sweet and salty mother-in-law. "Maybe it was, maybe not, but you did what was necessary," she replied.

"Then why are they glaring at me, like I killed their sacred cow?" Madan whispered, exasperated. "You know why," Swati said, rolling her eyes. "Help me, wifey!"

"Erm.. what my innocent and very well-mannered husband means is that we can carry on talking about our families while Purohit Ji is busy doing his astrological calculations. What will Amit & Aishwarya do? They can sit away and have some chai & samosa, no?"

Madan had said the exact same sentiment with clarity earlier but it had left everyone visibly agitated. However, when Swati made her point, a sense of ease washed over the room, and they even gave it a second thought. "We are a very modern family, we also respect our culture and tradition very much. Right, Atthe?" Swati said her final piece, and she had sensibly put Roopa in a spot. 

"Sit back and watch." She whispered to Madan as they took a wistful sigh.

"My daughter-in-law is right. We have to be a little lenient also. Anyway, let them... um, go upstairs to that balcony over there and have some chai & samosa while we discuss the rest." Roopa told them trying to lighten the mood. Venkat and Geeta seemed considering the options (with a few uncertain looks thanks to their totally unpredictable daughter).

'Again Samosa?' Amit wondered staring at the heaps of snacks placed on the table.

Aishwarya scrunched her nose. She hated that snack! She hated tea! She liked Coffee & Chips way better than Chai & Samosa.

"We can see them from here.. Let them go na, Geeta. Don't worry, I trust my son completely. He is very decent and very grounded. My Ami is Sanskaari huduga!"

"What worries, Roopa..! We are not worried at all. And our daughter Aishwarya is also very sanskaari. You know, she doesn't even hurt a fly!" Geeta gushed squeezing her daughter's arms.

Aishwarya held back her snigger. Yeah, she doesn't hurt a fly 'with her bare hands'. It's so disgusting! She has the mosquito bat, and insect sprays to do the deal!

"Then, these two are a match made in heaven!" Someone from the crowd said out loud. A series of giggles, random quotes, laughter, and praise were followed. Completely forgetting the task at hand, both families started listing out all the 'good' qualities of their kids.

Aishwarya had to use all of her self-control to not comment, laugh, or raise doubt as to what exactly they were talking about. She didn't even know half of the things her mother said she was a pro at. She didn't even behave half the way her mother proudly claimed her to be.

Amit was struggling to breathe. It had gotten so suffocating suddenly. Seriously, who lies so much? He couldn't believe he was hearing his own 'cool' parents praising his behaviour and thoughts. He was far from it! He wasn't even half as bold as they pictured him to be.

"So.. then... Shall we send them up?" Swati interrupted when she could no longer bear her husband pinching her every second to speak up. According to him, they will only listen to her.

Finally! Amit sighed.

Finally! Aishwarya breathed.

✺ ✺ ✺