Chapter 14- Diana

Diana

The apartment door was ajar when Diana approached, alerting her. She cast a look at the others moving aside to let Bill take survey. He raised a finger to his mouth and cocked his gun, counting down from three.

She held her breath as they barged inside, Cassandra following Andrew and stopping rigid, one foot still in the corridor.

"What?" Diana asked when she didn't hear any signs of battle. Then it clicked. Lee was in there. "No,no,no,no,no."

She threw herself to the floor where Lee was lying, his eyes half-closed. Blood stained his clothes, the carpet and torn furniture. She hoped it wasn't all his blood. Bill was checking Lee's pulse, while Andrew cleared the apartment.

"Hey," Diana said, sniffing when Lee opened his eyes. She smiled. "Hi, four-eyes. How are you feeling?"

She looked to Bill who gave her a thumbs up and then pulled Lee's head to her chest, careful not to disturb the wound on the side of his head. He was shaking, breaths coming out short.

Electronics lay on the floor in a pile of buttons and shattered glass. "I destroyed it before they could get any information," Lee stuttered. He coughed, leaving blood trickling from the side of his mouth.

Diana looked away, her breakfast stirring in the pits of her stomach. "You did everything you could." A sudden chill filled her bones. She had been on the other side of the line when Lee got into trouble. She was only a click of a button away and he never called her.

"There's no one in here," Andrew declared. Diana didn't care if the Queen was in the apartment. She held Lee's hand as Bill laid down a first aid kit, his eyes panicked as he watched the profusely bleeding wounds.

Cassandra crouched next to them. "What happened?"

Lee was hurt, it wasn't a good time to interrogate him.

"I tried calling you when they came, but the comms were off. I destroyed the laptops before they caught me." He winced when Bill put disinfectant on a wound near his ribs. It foamed. "They kept asking me about Maddison. I don't know a Maddison."

Diana studied Cassandra's face. "Did they say anything else?" she asked.

Lee squeezed Diana's arm and she squeezed back in reassurance.

"Can we do this later?" Bill snapped. "What the hell did they do to you? I can't stop the bleeding."

"They gave me something," Lee mumbled, grunting. "And told me to give you a message."

They looked at each other for a few seconds, questions whirling in their heads. They all knew what it was but it was hard to admit.

"What message?" Diana asked.

Lee pulled his hand from hers and laid it on his pocket, fumbling to pull out whatever was inside. Diana moved his hand away and swiftly pulled out a small bottle of transparent liquid. "Is this—"

"It's-it's an anti-drugging thing, I forgot the, um, word. She used that on Paul," Chloe said. Diana hadn't noticed Chloe was still in the hallway, leaning onto the door, pale as a sheet.

"You mean an antidote?" Bill asked.

Chloe took in a shaky breath. "Yes. Majesty, at least I think it was her, she had it. She didn't want to," she choked on her words. "She didn't want to give it to a guy and he was bleeding everywhere."

Cassandra rose from the floor and took the heels from Chloe's hands, on at a time, like she was afraid Chloe might stab her with them and sat her down without a word. She patted her shoulder.